Aquadyne

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

canveykoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Aquadyne

Post by canveykoi »

Hi all. Have had my new Aquadyne up and running now for about 1 month its run in parallel at the moment with the old system just to make a smooth change over ,how long do you think i should leave it like this before I can cap off the old conventional system
regards
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Aquadyne

Post by Louie »

Hiya.....

I'd guess that your best bet would simply be to take your other filtration offline and take daily water checks to see if the Aquadyne has matured sufficiently to keep the levels down. Whilst I stand to be corrected (as usual!) I'd think that a month should have done the trick. Just don't go overboard on the feeding until you're happy that it's doing the job properly! Are you heated and therefore feeding at a fairly steady level?
Oh.... and if you haven't used a bead filter before just be a little gentle on the backflushing until you're familiar with just how often you need to be doing it. Once it's properly established you don't have to worry about washing the bio-film away; but it's early days at the moment! :)
Louie
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

A filter will take a minimum of 6-weeks to mature, unless the media used was already 'seeded' by being used in a pond environment.

that said, water temperature will play a role in it. If your pond is at ambient temperature, then the water will be quite cold now and the maturation will take a lot longer. If this is the case, then I'd leave both filters in use over the Winter and Spring, until temperatures are around 16 or so for the 6-weeks at least
des
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by des »

I agree with Bob - I have one and they do take time to mature
this will depend on how warm your pond is - how fast the turn over is
how often you flush it these all have an impact on the final result.
so keep it online with the old system until it is fully working this will take 3 months

Also you will need the temp to be right so wait until it warms up#
hope this helps

DES