Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

DIY Pond Cover

Post by Louie »

Hi all......

I've just decided to put my pond cover on (yeah, I know it's a little early!) and thought I'd post a couple of pictures. It's made from swimming pool covering material similar to bubble wrap, but a lot more solid, far thicker and about 100 times more expensive! :shock: :shock: :shock: Got it from Fleabay last year.
My pond is an irregular shape, but I managed to knock up a frame that covered the surface and used the finishing slabs to lock down onto by means of hooks and bungee cord. I left a hinged section so that I can open up the narrow end on warmer days and also for feeding and checking on the inhabitants regularly. It seemed to do a good job last year, but that was with a 3Kw heater running. This year I'm going to try it without the heater for as long as possible, and won't use one unless the temperature dips below about 10 degrees. I'm currently maintaining 18 degrees regardless of night time temperatures.
I guess it cost me about £100 all in to build, the bulk of the cost being timber and metal angles for joining the different sections. I think the actual covering material was about £36. I think it was money well spent though! :D :D

Louie
Attachments
Cover3.JPG
Cover3.JPG (101.93 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
over2.jpg
over2.jpg (113.64 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
Cover1.JPG
Cover1.JPG (129.07 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DIY Pond Cover