Pergola and more!

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: Pergola and more!

Post by TicToc »

A year on and I wonder what Scott's pergola look like now :?: Any piccies Scott :D

Am really interested in doing a similar sort of project. I do like the roof you have done Scott. I'm thinking of roof shingles in copper as I really like that lime shade of green. Alas, I don't think I am patient enough to wait circa 20 years whilst it slowly, slowly oxidizes. Is there a cheaper greenish soft metal alternative besides visiting excavation yards for copper?

I suppose I could follow your example exactly and pour lots of live yoghurt on the roof once completed :shock: for that weathered, mossy look, but this might possibly detract from the roof a little.

Regards,

Tickers
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Here is a piccy from last spring.

[img]http://www.koi.excalibur-nw.com/images/springport.jpg[/img]
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Hi Scott

Just found this tread missed it before, an interesting project looks great, I love the gate and sliding shutter set of by the perfect circle , and the scales are real nice, might try something like that for my new fish house .

Terry
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Thanks Scott,

Looks superb and I guess nice and dry when your having that fag and its raining. :wink: Is that an Ilex Crenata to the left of the gate in the picture.

What roofing material can I find though.....

Cheers,
Tickers
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

Tic.
Have you thought about getting a roll of green roofing felt? Only take you a couple of hours to cut all the scales out. :lol: Something to do for the winter.

Chris (another one)
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

shingles... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Chris - Thanks for that advice though not sure if it would look as good as Scotts. :?: :idea: Did you have one type in mind or can you point me in the right direction?

Vippy - Not chicken pox shingles..... :shock: .... :roll: ..not very nice .... cedar wood shingles you know....

:D Toc
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

Tic,
What you are after is green coated roofing felt, as used for your average garden shed. Being black bitumin based, if you cut it into Scotts scale shapes, you`ll get a `shadow line` effect round them, when viewed from ground level.

However, having been virtually housebound since last December, unable to get out to the stores, I`m not sure that I can tell you exactly where to get the stuff, but I would think any builders merchants or B &Q would stock it.

Chris (another one)
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

I have seen those ashfalt shingles in scalloped shape before. Perhaps this would do?

B.Scott
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Chris -thanks for that, much appreicated. I will scout about.

Scott- thanks for the royal approval. Is that an Ilex Crenata (cloud tree) next to the pergola. Damn expensive over here in blighty :shock: .

Cheers
TicToc
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Yes that is an Ilex. Cloud tree is a misleading term and the Japanese call them Nawaki. There are several good books out there on how to do it yourself. not as hard as you might imagine. The maple on the right is my next victim. The price of these ilex has shot through the roof in the last three years. Four years back a bush like that would have gone for 100-150 quid. Now they ask 350-500 for the same. I have no idea why.

B.Scott