Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Raise the DO what do you think?

Post by TerryKoi »

Hi all

Have not posted for a long time , had a few personal problems ,but I have been reading some of your posts.
any way with the heat wave we have been having I've added this little devise to my pond as I know I read somewhere that mist is a good way to increase oxygen intake to water.
Be interested to hear what you think.

bob might recognise this fish
[img]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m302/wet ... 020357.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m302/wet ... 020364.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m302/wet ... 020363.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m302/wet ... 020366.jpg[/img]

just connect to your hose, you could run it through a chlorine filter first but in a large pond its not enough to worry about and best of all the DO is free.
brother of feeeshpond

Re: Raise the DO what do you think?

Post by brother of feeeshpond »

Hi Terry
"mist is a good way to increase oxygen intake to water"
Please explain
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Hi bob
if I remember the post or article I read its the amount of increased surface area of water particals that are able to absorb oxygen , perhaps it would be quite minimal, need to do some tests maybe !!
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

If I was worried about the amount of oxygen in my pond I think I'd be more inclined to drop in a 9" disc and throw 60-70 lph of air through it on top of the 60lph supplied by the aerated bd. As a temporary measure in extremely hot conditions it would certainly do the trick, and when the hot spell's over, back it goes in the shed on "standby!"
Louie
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Louie wrote:If I was worried about the amount of oxygen in my pond I think I'd be more inclined to drop in a 9" disc and throw 60-70 lph of air through it on top of the 60lph supplied by the aerated bd. As a temporary measure in extremely hot conditions it would certainly do the trick, and when the hot spell's over, back it goes in the shed on "standby!"
Louie
if I was worried then I would do a lot more than just add this , the question was am I right in thinking misting devise is a free method of increasing DO
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Andy H »

increasing DO as in Dissolved organics? or what??

Misting as I have read is a way of adding water to pond and gassing off the chlorine??? Or am I way off the mark again???
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Andy H wrote:increasing DO as in Dissolved organics? or what??
Dissolved Oxygen
Andy H wrote:Misting as I have read is a way of adding water to pond and gassing off the chlorine??? Or am I way off the mark again???
gassing off chlorine yes it will do this and absorb oxygen, this is gas exchange, but whether it could be a big enough amount to be of any value that is what I am after some feed back on
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Terry,

Hope you are well and enjoying this summer we are having :D

I am not 100% sure if it will increase the DO or not to be honest have you seen any change in the DO (if tested) or the fish :?:
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Hi Gaz
Not to bad mate thanks hope your are good , I do not have a problem with DO bud ,it was just a question really to see what people thought, I was thinking I might hide a couple of these in my veg bed or water fall just to give a misting effect when we have garden parties and open days, but then got to think this may be a good method of actually increasing DO, as I said in earlier post fine water particals increased surface area greater oxygen exchange. bubbles in the water in reverse , and coming straight from the mains supply its cost free . are you convinced yet :) :) :)
brother of feeeshpond

Post by brother of feeeshpond »

No!
But feed me enough beer, and I might be :D
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

OK, OK so none of you are going with this one, worse than dragons den you lot, the beer option sounds good though cause I know you don't like to drink alone.. :)
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

andyh, gassing off chlorine to a degree straight from the mains by spraying :?: :?: yes to a degree .. but it wont get rid of the chloramines ,zincs, phosphates etc etc ....always dechlor or use a purifier...

terry... anything that increases , however slight o2 levels is fine but as above im afraid .....dragons den :?: im out mate ..sorry :roll: :roll: :roll:
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Hi Gerry

guess I'm all alone on this one mate hope your doing well, and the good lady , with a bit of luck I'll see you at CB in the autumn .
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

terry, you will most certainly hope you and yours are well, and wheres our mate these days , i mean uncle dave of course :wink: :wink: :wink:
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

I was supposed to meet up with Dave last week end but family visit meant we had to cancel , but I'll pass on your regards when we do catch up.