Any good? your thoughts please

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

longboardpete
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Any good? your thoughts please

Post by longboardpete »

At the moment i'm running a pump fed system but wish to change. It's way to late for me to fit a bottom drain (dont even go there) but am looking to change filter to a nexus. I have a 4" return to the pond at the moment but would like to use this as a feed line, below is a diagram of my idear. the return would obviously be pumped back to pond. I propose to fit a valve on the 4" feed so every now and then it could be opened to purge any muck that could sit in there. Your thoughts please :?: :?:
Attachments
gravity-fed.gif
gravity-fed.gif (47.46 KiB) Viewed 13380 times
herbie
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark
Location: Tonbridge. West Kent. almost Sussex/Surrey. Senior Structural Technician(Retired due to my MS)

Re: Any good? your thoughts please

Post by herbie »

Pete

Looks like it will work Pretty well. But you dont need the three elbows on the feed to the nexus
It will feed much better with out the elbows to slow/restrict the flow. If you fit an elbow instead of
an elbow below the feed up to the nexus you will be able to flush the feed pipe to waste. Just be sure
that you use a 4" on the feed from the pond (You won't regret it)

Are you going to the National this weekend if so I may see you there.

Best Regards
longboardpete
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by longboardpete »

Hi Herbie
Unfortunately the 4" through the pond wall is already in there from last year when i built the pond out of the ground, because of this i may not have any choice as i need to get water levels right. I reckon i can prob use 45* swept bends as the pipe run will be 7ft in lenght, again not ideal but it's what i've got.

Unfortunately no Nationals as working the weekend :cry: :cry: :cry:
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Can I ask why You cant fit a bottom task?, Its not that hard a task in most case`s,
Justin
longboardpete
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by longboardpete »

Hi Justin

Unfortunately 2200 gallons of water says i cant fit a bottom drain. It's all up and running :? :? :?

Pete
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Pete

A well know dealer near us uses a similar set up on one of his big display ponds, but he has a slotted section of 4" pipe running along the floor of his pond before the upright section. He claims it works OK, but admits to having to vacuum around the pipe once a week to get all the cr*p out.

However, you'll have to be careful to keep any airstones away from the inlet in your pond or you'll end up with an air lock in the upside down U section. I'd put an air vent on that section of pipe just to avoid any such problems!

Good luck - let us know how it works out.

Cheers
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Could YOu not put a vat up, move water and Koi, seems like You are going to do the work and it may or may not work ok, You wont be happy with it. Bite the bullet do it properly. Hold off to bank holiday weekend, easierly have it done and dusted over a three day period. Sit back relax knowing Your system is running and set up correctly.
Justin
longboardpete
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by longboardpete »

Will try my idear first, if it don't work i'll go back to pump fed. but i do feel it's worth a try.
dazzafjr1300
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dazzafjr1300 »

would it be worth fitting a 90 degree bend on bottom and running a lenght of pipe to say middle blanked at end and slots at bottom to collect muck from more surface area ,
longboardpete
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by longboardpete »

My thought on this is it's only 8ft across at deepest part of pond and running a 12000 pump i would have thought it would pull most of the cr*p across, if i lay a pipe across the bottom there will always be a certain amount of muck that will get trapped under it, where as if the pipe comes straight down i can then easily vacuum the rest of the pond bottom without obstruction.
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Andy H »

would it work to fit a T near the nexus with the straight through bit to waste to purge
Lose the 2 x 90 bends outside the pond and keep it straight(I think you said you have to do this though)
Run a pipe to centre of pond with and upside down drain on the end and air above it so you get the sucking flowing motion of the air moving crap towards to bottom drain which although upside down would be just off the floor???half inch gap perhaps???

Or am I totally off my trolly.................. :D
longboardpete
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by longboardpete »

The 4" through the wall is only about 18" down from the pond surface (was only ever going to be return) , i may be able to use 45* swept bends but i will definately need these as the filter will be a lot lower than the 4" pipe through the wall.
Not sure about the bottom drain upside down as this will leave edges where the fish may flick on, this is the reason for only having a down pipe within the pond. If the gap between the down pipe and liner was less, say 1/2 this may give a bit more pull across the bottom, also if i fitted and air ring, say 10" up from the bottom of the down pipe this would also give me a better pull across the bottom :?: . Don't forget at the moment the filter is pump fed and i just feel this will improve things on where i am now. I know the best option is bottom drain and if at a later date i fibreglass this will definately go in.

Pete
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

pete ,if you can pull 2000gallons thro the nexus it will work ok as for the air ring i would put it lower down the pipe ,air will displace the water causing a sucking motion to the pipe which i would have about 1\2 inch off the bottom (same as a b\d lid), the only concern is the bends bob (kayoss) pointed out being a. restriction b. a sure fire airlock ....you can but try ,there are better ways as suggested but you gotta go with what you got ..right..good luck