Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

ruby-roo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Q/T advice needed please

Post by ruby-roo »

hi ,
we got a small q/t to replace our old q/t (and judging by some we have seen on this site its tiny) (the old one being a 100g tank and small black box filter)from ebay , bargain price of 10 quid.
b095_1.jpg
b095_1.jpg (15.39 KiB) Viewed 4415 times
needed a fair bit of work scraping out all the old paint , sanding down and finally gave it 2 good coats of g4 to get it to look like this..
tmpphpusRWis.jpg
tmpphpusRWis.jpg (87.75 KiB) Viewed 4415 times
then we picked up a filter (also from ebay) we know its too big for what we need but from what we hear you cant over filter so it should be adequate.
new filter.jpg
new filter.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
the filter has a 4" return,
the tank itself has 2 x holes with 1and a half " pipe coming from it at the bottom (back end and side) and three further holes at the top,
going to possibly feel really daft for posting this but what would the best way to set this up be?..and how would you guys do it .
ie, pump or gravity fed ? which "hole" should i use as the one for the inlet and which for the outlet and does it matter? which order should the filter go in , i mean should it be brushes then japanese matting then alfagrog or matting alfagrog brushes etc, (i only ask this as my filter on my pond is and always has been a nexus 300 and i have never used this kind of filter before ) what size pump should i get to run this and does anybody know the name or make model of this filter ?
regards
lisa