Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

leechapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: new quarantine build

Post by leechapman »

hi gazza

think i am going to use bhm should be plenty of filltration on the new qt bottom drain to eazy pod then a biomax 25 bead filter then a shower.

lee
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

You know it makes sense :D

Will be a cracking set up :D
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

what pump will you be using ? as through a bead then over a shower is a big ask.
Or are they two separate lines of filtration
Justin
leechapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by leechapman »

hi justin

i am using one line of filtration the pump will be a 10,000 litre i know this is not the required turnover for the shower but i want to save on the running cost's of the quarantine.

lee
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

I've got a much lower than recommended turnover on my DIY shower and it still works great, but I think the main issue you might have is that the bubblebead's going to cause a lot more resistance to the flow really reducing your flow rate.

Also by the time the water's got to the shower then it will have already passed through two filters, both removing particles but also the ammonia that the filter bacteria need in the shower to grow. Will there be much left by the time it's got to the shower?

I think you might be best just using the shower personally! That'd keep the bills down as well as the maintenance.
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

To be honest I wouldnt run a bead and shower on the same system. I think You would get much better results with just the shower, with the full flow of Your pump over it.
I run the same shower as you have purchased with 2000 gallons an hour going over it. My growing pond is 1700 gallons I have a bottom drain to homemade eazy then K1 chamber , back to pond over shower. Then other drain straight over shower. This pond seems to work very well. I had a measure up a week or so ago and was shocked at some of My growth, the biggest being Matsue Sansai Kohaku at 69cm. Also a CKF Chag bought spring 2007 at 12cm now 62cm. Many other Koi in there all growing like mad.
Justin
leechapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by leechapman »

hi justin & eds

so your both saying ditch the bead filter go straght from the eazy pod over the shower this could be a option would only have to change a couple of pipes the finnished system should be around 1700 gallons.

so what pump do you think i could use a sequence 12000 would this be ok after the head loss and pumping through the heater i know the eazy pod is rated at 10000 litres per hour.

i could sell the bead which would pay for the bhm.

lee
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

sounds like a plan
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Yep i would say the same sounds like a plan :D unless the bead was on a separate line i wouldn't use it to be honest.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

To be honest i'd ditch the Easy Pod too! The more flow you get over the shower the better and if it goes a bit murky with particles then all the better as the fish will love the colour in the water. I'd simply use the most efficient pump per watt you can with the shortest length of pipe as possible. I'd try and get as close to once an hour turnover as you can, if not more. An Aquamax 16,000 maybe?

I've got a 300g QT and run a Ecomax 4000 over 2 boxes of BHM but would like to double that flow rate. However as it's doing the job it'll stay at the moment.
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Lee

Suspect that the 12000 will be too much for the Pod.

I have a similar set up 4" gravity feed to a Pod pumping to 4' head and had to throttle back when using a Sequence 12000 after cleaning when the pond level dropped a couple of inches. With a 10,000 no problem.

Regards

Dave
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

I would disagree with Ed, Keep the Pod from the bottom drain, You will be fine with 1200 the pod will cope with no probs due to pumping to a head. I would 100% advise at this stage of any build add a side wall feed, with a tommy drain cover. If You have a spare pump then pump that direct over shower as well. If not valve it off and You can always add it at a later date if You require.
Justin
leechapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by leechapman »

another option would put a t piece on the bottom drain pipe and have two systems

system 1 bottom drain eazypod then bead through heater over the top return.

system 2 bottom drain straight over the shower.

what do you think!!!

lee
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Lee,

What size if the pipe work :?:
leechapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by leechapman »

hi gazza

3" on the bottom drain and rest is 2" for the returns etc.

lee