Plastic Bubblewrap ?

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

mio

Plastic Bubblewrap ?

Post by mio »

Hi Guys .. :D

The Koi temps have plummeted to 3.5 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have a Solar Cover over the top of it and have Bubblewrapped everything - I`m about to buy another Ton of the stuff and need to know which is best please the smaller or larger Bubbles :?: There are sales of the Air-Cap type currently :D
silverghost
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Plastic Bubblewrap ?

Post by silverghost »

:D Mio, I have a double small bubble wrap on the pond surface with all the floating plants shoved underneath,over this I have put another double thick layer of larger bubble wrap,and kept about a 2 foot strip open by the waterfall,and the filter corner.The bubble wrap needs little tethering on the sides,it seems to stick like glue to the water surface.Over the whole lot I have put a few thin slats of wood just in case of gales,although it didn't move much even on a windy day.At night I have a blue tarpaulin over the lot which i remove in the morning.The temperature was 3 degrees warmer today than in a neighbouring uncovered pond that is covered in ice. The Koi came to see me today and they look amazingly OK.I was sure they would all die :lol:
I paid £20 for all the bubble.I saw this tip on a Montana Fish website,so I am so glad I did as it seems to be working great.

Let me know what happens.

Di
mio

Post by mio »

Hi S .. :D
Thank`s for the Reply :D

Great to hear your Babes are OK ..

Any questions - don`t forget were all here to help ..
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

AFAIK their insulation all depends on the amount of air they trap and as the bigger bubbles are thicker against the glass of a greenhouse they are supposed to do a better job for greenhouses. However for other purposes the smaller has always been easier to fit for me! And it's often cheaper so you could always do two layers (or more) of the small bubbles. I've gone with small bubbles on my greenhouse QT this year.
seamaster
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by seamaster »

First post so here goes, my pond is in the shape of a triangle, so in the past I have covered my pond surface with big bubbled bubble wrap, leaving the tip of the triangle exposed to air, about a 5' triangle, on a few occasions I have come home from work only to find a fish laying on the surface of the wrap,( on each occasion the fish has been saved) and because it has flapped and wriggled the fish would normally work its way to the middle of the wrap.
So, for the last 5 years I have put slashes 1' wide into the wrap almost the length of the pond, keeping the edges intact so the whole lot does not fall apart, any fish that finds itself on the wrap falls through back into the water. Also allows air to vent from the pond from the airstones/ air pump.
flatpack
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by flatpack »

not to sure about leaving bubble wrap on the surface of the pond????????if you donnt no ware its come from alot of plastics are toxic
seamaster
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by seamaster »

flatpack wrote:not to sure about leaving bubble wrap on the surface of the pond????????if you donnt no ware its come from alot of plastics are toxic
Yes, I am inclined to agree with you, currently I have a net pulled tight over the pond, I am going to get a couple of layers of bubble wrap ontop of the net and lay another net over the whole lot to keep it in place.
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

I like a bit of room between the cover and the water for those times when a koi decides to have a little leap (and they always do at some point)

This now also has a couple of layers of fleece fitted.

[img]http://www.jagger.plus.com/pond/cover.JPG[/img]
Carl
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Carl »

Ping pong balls! I saw an article in one of my Koi mags where a guy put hundreds of ping pong balls on the surface of his pond which he says works well for insulation and ventilation. And i guess there would be no worries about fish jumping out and getting stranded as the balls would seperate.

C
dazzafjr1300
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dazzafjr1300 »

i see the mio has a solar cover i have not got one but seen this on ebay will it work item no 400008076014 its a solar cover and the right size as pond is round and the price is right any one tried these or is there some thing better for a little more money as you all seemed to have years ahaed on me on this as its my first and i had my hands in filter today finishing of air to tanks looks the nuts as ive used 6mm Pneumatic push fit fittings made a manafold with two valves one goes to jap matting 5 stones air on low the other is to k1 with five stones man that waters cold wife looks out of window at 21.00 shakes her head with the look your nuts on here face lol i am well please with the air cost a lot to do as fittings are not cheep pitty cant put small vidio on here to show all done friday so saterday i took wife out what more can she want apart from more shoes lol
any way back to the cover whats the way to go any one tell me were to go for a cover or is the one on fleebay going to work
dazzafjr1300
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dazzafjr1300 »

ive been gien a large roll of small bubble wrap about 3 feet wide how can i join this and then a second layer over the top going the other way so nice and strong i dont want to use tape or glue god knows what will happen to the wtaer if it is the wrong stuff what are you all using to joinn it as i can cut 9 feet round then other way but i need to join it and want to be able to use it again next year any ideas
silverghost
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by silverghost »

dazz: you don't join it,you just float it on the water in strips and it stays put,I have 3 layers on top of each other.If you read the book Cult of the Koi,this is what they recommend.There is nothing to harm the fish as they use this stuff in operating theatres for us lot - humans :wink: My koi pond is 3 degrees warmer than the uncovered one I have.The fish love it.When you get a nice sunny day you can remove it for a while,then put it back.All my plants are looking good as they are under the cover too.