Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

superchimp
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

pump size on nexus 200

Post by superchimp »

Hi all,

Ive notived recently that the k1 in my Nexus 200 is sticking to the mesh in the bio chamber before it enters the outlet. Does this mean that the pump is to powerful?

The pump is an aquamax 8500 on the nexus from a 4in bottom drain, the pond is 3840 gallons.
Oh and there is an aquamax 12000 on the skimmer line which goes into a 4kw heater then a 110 uv

Thanks for any advice
d
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: pump size on nexus 200

Post by boogatee »

My 200 runs on an Aquamax 10K. I used to have that problem, but after speaking to EA, they had me check the air ring for blockages and then had me change the air pump from a EA 50 lpm to a 100 lpm. That solved the problem. For info - I have 110 litres of K1 and 25 litres of biochips in my bio stage.

I'm also aware that some people have solved that problem by increasing the size of the holes in the air ring .... the use a small drill to enlarge the hole ... do a search on here and you'll see what size they have used

Good luck :D
superchimp
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by superchimp »

Thanks Chris,

Ive tried it with an 80ltr pump instead of the 40ltr one thats on at the moment but they still clung.

I would like to open up the holes in the air ring as you suggested but as the filters are not yet mature (pond only running for a month) I'm a bit worried about stopping the air to the k1 and losing whatever bacteria has been built up??

Thanks
ds
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi

No way is your pump too powerful!!

When maturing the K1 in a Nexus you want minimum air in there.

Have you checked that the air holes in the area of the exit are clear, use a 2mm drill bit and give them a prod.

Check that the Nexus is level and that the air ring is in the clips all the way round.

Couple of extra holes in the air ring in the exit area will not do any harm!

Regards

Dave