Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Help with compact sieve

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi All,

I recently fitted one of the pump fed compact sieves before my shower-the results were fantastic, it collected loads of waste and didnt block up for nearly a week. After a week or so i noticed that it started to bypass the screen within a day or so-it is collecting a lot less waste now but the waste isnt "rolling" down the screen but just clogging up??? Im running a aquamx 5500-was thinking of up grading to a 10000 in the hope that the extra flow will force the waste down the screen instead of blocking up?

Was just wondering if anyone else is using on and has any suggestions about flow rates etc.

Cheers Andy
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with compact sieve

Post by B.Scott »

Andy,
Are you talking about one of the green plastic ones with the big black Tee on the side? I have one of them. I have run both a 5500 and a 10000. Never had the bybass come into action.

B.Scott
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Andy, im on an 8000 ECO and the flow rate is fine for me, you wont be able to force anything through the sieve as thats not how they work, it should simply cascade over the weir and then down through the sieve, im afraid the only way to resolve this is either check more regular or have a think as to why your picking up so much muck that is causing the blockages.

My 8000 is running on my skimmer so im only really picking up the odd bit of food or leaf. Where is pump placed for your sieve ??

Graham
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Scott,

Yes its one of the green ones with the 3inch t piece on.

Hi Graham,

I cleaned it yesterday and it was bypassing this morning-when i first fitted it there was loads of excess waste in the water and it wrked fine-the waste was rolling down the screen and not blocking. However now the pond is much cleaner it is collecting less but what it is collecting is not rolling down the screen but blocking it up. The pump is inline direct from the bottom drain-the pond is indoors so no leaves etc!

Was hoping a bit more flow might help to roll the waste down the screen so it doesnt block.

How often do you guys have to clean them out? Do you have much waste collected?

Cheers Andy

Cheers Andy
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Sorry meant to ask-do you guys fine that there is quite a bit of waste in the chamber under the screen? I seem to have quite a build up each day under the screen-im gussing its because the waste can get round the side of the screen as its not sealed as such???

Cheers Andy
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

At times these fine mesh screens do need a chemical clean, as they can glog with bio film. It may be this has occurred and then the water rides over the screen and down the sides.

I havent cleaned one of these, but some people have and I'm sure they can advise on what to use.
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

Andy, I have exactly the same problem with my screen ... every day I do a simple hose down of the screen and once a week I use lime juice to give it a good clean, then I power clean it with a jet wash. Seems to work :)

I used to think the build up was waste, but after a closer look I think its algae.... which love either the highly oxygenated area created by the sieve... (i.e. the back/under side.) or the calcium/minerals precipitated out of the water or both :wink: . The mildly acidic lime seems to work.
tancho boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by tancho boy »

Hi Andy,

I've got one as well and know your problem. To stop stray crud going down the sides of the screen, I cut an air line in half and wrapped it round the entire screen - no creeping muck in the bottom then and removes the sharp edge too :D . The finer stuff does clogg the screen and I also remove it and hose down almost daily - only takes a minute - I scrub the front face with a (not used for anything else) scrubbing brush for a few seconds - screen never gets clogged then but does when I forget :oops: I quickly dip it into the pond before returning it to the sieve, don't want any hose water getting in my filter.

They are good bits of kit but not maintenance free I'm afraid.

Hope this helps.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response! Ive just been out and given it a clean. This is what i found after just one day! I noticed the sieve was slightly unflat so have levelled it out to see if it makes a difference!

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/emma ... e001-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/emma ... e002-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/emma ... e003-2.jpg[/img]

Hi Bob,
I think you maybe right about a bio film the screen appeared almost slimy when cleaned-im sure someone told me cleaning in a dishwasher helps??? Best not mention this to Emma!

Hi Chris,
Ive just tried the magic lime juice-will see if it makes a difference. How much lime juice do you use and do you just sponge it on?

Hi tancho Boy,
Your a star! Ive been trying to find something like the plastic strip on the bottom of the screen to try and seal it all weekend but couldnt think what to use! Can ask ask which type of airline you use?

Cheers Andy
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

Andy, I drizzle it on and spread it around with my hand and let it sit for a couple of minutes... a bottle @ circa £0.60 lasts about 6 weeks/cleanings (a good friend of mine cleans his with caustic soda, but that's too difficult for me :wink: ).

One thing I've noticed is that without the weekly cleaning the 300micron sieve clogs quicker and quicker each day. The other thing is that it does allow particles smaller than 300 microns through (and I think the sieve also acts somewhat like a kitchen grater with the force of the water crashing the bits into the sharp side of the sieve :roll: ).... these sub 300 micron bits will invariably settle out of the water, in my case as I have BHM under my sieve and it does get covered in a fine dust which also needs cleaning out about once a month. hope that helps?

The upshot of all of this is that, your not alone as it appears that all sieves behave the same way.
tancho boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by tancho boy »

Hi Andy,

Hopefully I attach some piccies showing my airline round the screen - just the normal small airline cut lengthways - not a job after a few beers!

[img]http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/ta ... GP1593.jpg[/img]

[img]http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/ta ... GP1594.jpg[/img]

Not sure I would have bent the screen, as I think you will have changed the gaps but oh well eh!

Good luck.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

I take it this is on you growing on pond how many fish have you in there now and what and how much are you feeding :?:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Chris,

What sieve are you running before your shower? Will have to stock up on some lime next time im in Tesco!

Hi Tancho Boy,

Cheers for that-will have to pick up a length of air line and give it ago. I didnt bend the sieve-it sits on a shelf that has warped slightly and so was not sitting level (in other words i didnt do a very good job at putting the shelf up :( )

Hi Gazza,

Yes its the one on the growing on pond-quite heavily stocked with a fair bit of food going in. I dont think the sieve is struggling because im overloading it as it isnt actually collecting anywhere near as much as when i first fitted it. I turned the auto feeder down today as the water temp is starting to drop now :( :( :(

Cheers Guys :D :D
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

Andy, it's not a shower ... it's a pump fed BIotec 12 screenex filter on my skimmer line, that has had the sponges removed (hated cleaning sponges) and replaced with a box of BHM. The sieve is 300 micron and the filter is fed by an aquamax 12K. It's a "flow through" filter which means that only about 50% of the media is submerged .... my sieve looks like tancho boy's after about 12 hours ... and the media looks like the dust in yours (just a fair bit darker) after about a month. The filter has a drain, so cleaning the media with a hose fed by a KP1 is real easy. The submerged media is generally more densly covered than the media out of the water - I also have 60 liters of air under the BHM.

ps I'd take a picture, but I'm away this week - that heavens for internet access :mrgreen:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

Just wondering if you have a lid on top of the shower? If not perhaps covering it would reduce the bio film effect brought on by sunlight.