Re: High volume eco-pump

Post by vippymini »

dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Hi Jane,

Your images have gone! But I am pretty sure you would have found the right thing. Another thing I had in mind, inspired by your cooker extractror fan, is the aluminum ducts for the extractor fans. I am sure I have some somewhere. Now all I need to know is how toxic, if at all, is aluminum to koi!

Bob,

The test was in the filter only and not in the pond as all my electrical connections are on my filter side! Hence, I did the 2" @0.3m test from one filter chamber to the other.

David.
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

GDL wrote:David,

Useful information on performance, thank you.
One question I have is on noise.

How intrusive is the noise, and how loud?

Cheers

Gordon
This is one of the issues I touched upon earlier in this thread. If you are just pumping the water and letting it free fall or running it through a TT/Bakki shower then noise will be either a moot point due to the noise of the shower of impossible to ascertain.

To really get a handle on the question I think one would have to pump with the return submerged. Possibly then one could make a call on the noise levels.

B.Scott
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

My pond is totally enclosed, so I don't really worry about noise too much! Plus I am already running a shower and no one has ever complained about that so I don't foresee any problems in my case. :lol:

If you are worried about noise then off course you can construct something to reduce the noise (some kind of polythene bag around the outlet, a bit like the inside of the water closet) or direct the water over the wall and submerge the return. But the problem with submerge returns like that is obviously the danger of physical damage. I already have a submerged return through the walls of the filter that is flush with pond wall so I can always use that if I get tired of the noise.
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Well done David ("Dho") for testing and posting. I know exactly what you mean about that reducer it seemed a pretty badly designed product.

Well done Vippymini for coming up with a clever concept, even though John is right on the flow/drag restriction. Darwin started somewhere and the Church have only just apologised to him (don't check your watch) :wink: .

For the sake of transparency, to recap are we suggesting that 3" returns to the pond, used in conjuntion with this pump is more efficient than 2" returns or smaller returns most of have?

What is the electrical saving 20%?

Regards,
TicToc
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Hi Max,

The reducer I used wasn't the one you give me. Mine is stone age compared to yours!! Yours had the tapered reduction from 3" to 2", mine just goes straight from 3" to 2", meaning that the water hits a wall then squeezes into the 2" bit!! Unfortunately I couldn't take full advantage of your pipework due to your being pressure pipes and mine being the more humble waste pipes. I didn't have the brushes to make a proper connection to the 2" reducer.

In koi a 3" pipe is not always a 3" pipe! BTW the outlet on the 3" pumps are 75mm for future reference!

David.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Dave,

Just use a heat gun (paint stripping gun), warm the pipe, open it up and everything will fit together!!!!
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

I forgot to post the actuall wattage of the pump, I thought I have done so!

The stated wattage of the pump HP20000 is 140W, the actual wattage from my meter saids 150W but my voltage was a little down at 228V. I think this means the wattage would be lower if my voltage was higher and closer to the stated 140W. Anyway definitely no electrian here so we will have to wait for someone to confirm this.

BTW I am getting close to 2,5000 gallons at zero head by pumping straight through the filter wall via a 2" outlet.

David.
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Nice one David.

We all spotted that old trick, you hadn't posted the wattage but no one wanted to say it first. I guess the "2,5000" is a typo. I know you're not a huge fan of this particular pump although it has pretty much past the ronseal test.

Close to 2,500 gallons, zero head, 2" outlet at circa 140w is damn good.

Like you, I think I will leave Norton's rules of electricity and passive current imperfections to a Sparkie out there :?:
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Of course 2,5000 is a typo. It should have been 2,500.0 to be precise. :D

It does pass the ronseal test in a manner of speaking, but I suggest the pump should be renamed HP15000 rather than HP20000. I am just not expecting it to be the most robust pump in my collection, but then again I got it cheap enough to ignore that fact plus I am hoping that it would have saved me a bundle by the time it goes.

I didn't know Graham Norton had any rules named after him. :evil: :twisted: :evil:
estanque_koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by estanque_koi »

Let see, 2500 imperial gallons equals 11,365.23 liters. That is even less than 15,000 liters/h, not to mention the expected maximum of 20,000 liters/h
I wonder whether this is due to using a reduction from 3" (75 mm diameter) to 2" (50 mm) or not.
After all, the section area of 2" pipe is just 19.6 square centimeters, a mere 44.5 % of the 3" pipe section (44.2 square centimeters). What do you think?
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

it does make me think that the test with 2" pipe was a little unfair. if you are to compare the test to any other pump then you are going to have to choke back the pump with the same percentage of pipework reduction...

come on guys give us the test with the full diameter of pipe......

what output would you get if you fitted an aquamax 15000 with a 1" pipe????? i bet it wouldnt be 15000 litres !!!
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Its down to David (dho) when he gets a moment or two. I do know Friday's are his special fish days normally :lol: He could be at the bottom of the garden right now struggling with that 1 inch piping....... :wink: Watering the neighbours garden and with all that back pressure thank God he's rust proof. Deep joy.

Am around if needed Mukka?

Tickers
estanque_koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by estanque_koi »

This thread has been silent for a long time. I wonder what's up with the lifetech pumps, after all the inital expectations. :?:
Are there more buyers/new owners of the pump in this Forum that might comment their impressions?
:?: :wink: :?:
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

estanque_koi wrote:This thread has been silent for a long time. I wonder what's up with the lifetech pumps, after all the inital expectations. :?:
Are there more buyers/new owners of the pump in this Forum that might comment their impressions?
:?: :wink: :?:
I'm dragging this back up again to see if anyone's got any feedback. I'm looking at upping the flow over my shower again now my QT is heated all winter. Any feedback would be great guys.