advice on quarantine tank

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

LCBkoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

advice on quarantine tank

Post by LCBkoi »

i'm thinking of a bigger quarantine/growing on tank was going to build one out of wood but the space i have will only give me about 220 gallons....i'm thinking a cheaper option to building one may be an IBC tank; which will give me the same gallonage; filter and pump is already sorted i just wondered what your thoughts were on new black IBC's as tanks???
cheers
liam
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: advice on quarantine tank

Post by Gazza »

What size have you got as i did the same and built mine from wood in my shed as i didn't want to have to take it apart to get a tank in.I decided to built it as big as possible and ended up with a 500gln tank (only fill to around 450) so i was well pleased.
LCBkoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by LCBkoi »

well 4.6x2.6x4 so looking at 299 g's but it would have to be linered???
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello ...
the black ibc tanks generally have had diesel in them ..i wouldnt touch them on life.
The white ones usually have had water soluble glue in the ..and they will clean out lovely ...fill it up stick some PP in it empty it and fill up again..job done !
9/10 times they even have the gallonage on the sides marked ..ignore the litres thats the american content.. they hold 220 gallons.
I have two of these tanks ..and they are fantastic ..as qt tanks
And if you have a good look round you will find loads of stuff that can be made into qt tanks
fold down qt.jpg
fold down qt.jpg (84.94 KiB) Viewed 19549 times
My garden has been taken over by qt tanks LOL
qt LOL.jpg
qt LOL.jpg (100.2 KiB) Viewed 19549 times
This is the two ibc's under wraps for winter ..1 inch thick polystyrene the wrapped up in the bubblewrap thats foil backed.. the tent on top LOL is a garden cloche fits great over the 2 tanks and stops the wind chill and cost £20 from garden centre..i could use a 500w heater and keep it at 18c without any problem at all.
winter quarantine tanks.jpg
winter quarantine tanks.jpg (36.28 KiB) Viewed 19539 times
If you live local to Aylesbury i can get you a cleanable ibc for £30 ..and thats possibly delivered !
regards
Max
LCBkoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by LCBkoi »

cheers max and thanks for the pics...i live in solihull though mate....i have been pondering with the ibc tank and figure it may be my best option mainly coz of the volume and cost really...i'm gonna see wat i can rustle up
Liam
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi,

Is this going to be in a shed or something :?:

i looked into a few options and then decided to make one in my shed to fit into the corner and make it as big as possible and it all worked out OK in the end and been running for a few years now.i just built it out of marine ply into the corner of my shed and had a metal frame to make sure it didn't bow or bend with the weight of the water.So have two layers of marine ply to help keep the structure strong so one outside layer and one inside layer and insulation in the middle to keep it all nice and arm :D

Here are a few pictures:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_1874.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_1876.JPG[/img]
[img]
http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_1644.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/img]
LCBkoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by LCBkoi »

yeh will be inside my greenhouse the only problem is that it gets really humid in there....will the wood not just rot really quickly...even if i treated it?
cheers for the pics gazza looks like a nice tank!
liam
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

Thats why you use `marine ply`. As used for building boats, and they stand up to water quite well. Ordinary ply wouldn`t last anywhere near as long.

It would also be covered with some sort of a liner as well, wouldn`t it, so it should stay dry.

Chris (another one)
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Liam,

Chris is bang on the money and thats the reason we use marine ply it a bit more expensive but last a long time,some have built from normal wood only to fine the wood rots on the outside due to condensation so the best wood and sealer we can use the better :wink:
LCBkoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by LCBkoi »

sorry may have seemed like a stupid question but i wanted to find out as much as possible "before" i mess it up
cheers chaps!
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Liam,

Not stupid at all mate there is no such thing its only stupid if you don't ask and then it all goes pair shaped :D :wink:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Liam,

I copied Gazza's design as well, worked out very well.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I seem to remember someone using marine ply that was laminated with beach over the top which looked very smart :D :D :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Didnt like to say you also provided all the materials as wel Gazza, you'll have everyone asking - LOL

Great ply though
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Very nice job as well shame it was being thrown out :D