Koi-Pond RE-VAMP ????

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

mio

Koi-Pond RE-VAMP ????

Post by mio »

Hi Everyone and Thank`s for all your help and support :) ..

Now that the Koi are in the Pool being MG&F`d with Salt (hence the Green Water) I decided to take the Plunge and Re-Vamp the Pond for (Love-of-the-Koi) - Weather has been diabolical so I`ve had to dig it in fits and starts :arrow: go-with-the-flow as it were :) http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc183/mi ... IM1167.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have to do the whole Re-Vamp myself :cry: in a bid to rectify the too "numerous to list" errors made during the Original build ..I am limited to my capabilities - being from "VENUS" and clueless where pond Gadgets and Gizzmo`s are concerned so will have to rely on a Retro Type portable B-Drain not having the wherewithal to concrete one in and risk cutting the Butyl liner ..

I`m at the bottom now and need some tips from you lovely people :D
The Plan was to remove the two - tier Plant shelves and build up two feet on the concrete Blocks :twisted: (once I`ve learned to Block-lay) :roll:
Should I make the bottom "Spirit-level" flat or do I need a Gradient where the B-Drain will be going :?:

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc183/mi ... 9d777a.pbw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: Koi-Pond RE-VAMP ????

Post by TicToc »

Mio,

Nice pictures. Not to sure though of the bottom depth you are aiming for or have achieved thus far? Guess with the additional build up you are around four feet deep. I'd take the plunge, concrete and cut into butyl liner. Can't you find some local builder bloke for that part? You have done all the hard work.
Regards, TicToc
mio

Post by mio »

Hi TT ..
Sadly funds have dried up - (don`t they always in this Exhorbitant Hobby) so it`s all down to me I`m afraid - so cutting into the Liner :twisted: isn`t an option ..

The two feet of blocks will give me a 5ft total depth .. once I learn to Block-lay :twisted: Can`t be that difficult - surely :?: I made all the Flag stones myself :) ..
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

Should I make the bottom "Spirit-level" flat or do I need a Gradient where the B-Drain will be going
Makes sense to have a gradient mio.Whether a bottom drain or a submersible pump it helps to use gravity to move the heavy stuff down to it.I use a submersible (Aquamax 12000) with an airstone in the casing.Works ok but not as good as a pukka BD which I haven't got for the same reason as you.
The two feet of blocks will give me a 5ft total depth .. once I learn to Block-lay :twisted: Can`t be that difficult - surely
Nah.Easy peasy.But it hurts afterwards. :mrgreen: Just read up on how to mix mortar.

[img]http://www.jagger.plus.com/pond/collar.JPG[/img]
not having the wherewithal to concrete one in and risk cutting the Butyl liner ..
Please tell me that it's EPDM and not Butyl.EPDM is fully synthetic and doesn't rot.Butyl is part organic (that's rubber) and does.I had two Butyl liners perish in very short time and allow ground water ingress into the pond.Took a long time to figure out what was going wrong making the fish prone to sickness.Use Firestone 1.0mm EPDM and forget about it for a few years.Use Butyl and worry on a daily basis.(if you've got Butyl then inspect it minutely along any folds.If you find a little split then bin it.I'm not kidding.

[img]http://www.jagger.plus.com/pond/pondside6.jpg[/img]
mio

Post by mio »

Hi Graham :D
Thank`s for the pics - very helpful indeed :) ..
I`m going to stick with the "Portable Retro B-Drain" plan as I couldn`t risk cutting into the Butyl liner..
Not sure which type it is but it does come with a "Lifetime Warranty" which I can call upon should it fail - I will examine it thoroughly before I put it back :twisted: How do I test for wear or holes if they`re tiny :?: It`s almost 2 years old - I`ve been looking for the obvious leak in the "Pool inflatable air ring" for months without success :roll:

Mixing Mortar is not a problem - I made the Pond edge Flagstones :)
th_FlagstonesRivenedge-1.jpg
th_FlagstonesRivenedge-1.jpg (15.27 KiB) Viewed 13044 times
It`s just when it comes to laying blocks or bricks (from previous experience) they just seem to land then refuse to move for levelling etc - might need a few "practise sessions" first :roll:
Smart Koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Smart Koi »

Hi Mio,

Well done you for having a go yourself.

When it comes to the mortar mix it needs to be fairly loose ie a bit wet (but not to sloppy). If you try to lay on a mix that has lost its moisture you will never be able to tamp the blocks down. Also before laying the block on the mortar it is best to force a groove along the centre of the mix so that when tamping down the mix can move both inward and outward.

Practice is the way forward. Have fun and good luck.

Dean.
mio

Post by mio »

Thank`s Dean :D
Great tip - to help with the practise ..

The Wicked-Welsh-Weather has yet again brought the work to a standstill :twisted: - nonetheless a two hour window of Sunshine came to my aid permitting the removal of the remaining soil :D - I`m fairly Dead-on-my Feet - Honest :roll:

Update :arrow: http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc183/mi ... 9d777a.pbw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steveW
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steveW »

looking good Mio :D

use a 4 to 1 mix of sand to cement, keep it soft and use a rubber mallet to knock the blocks level :P

use a spirit level on every face to make sure its level and vertical. no expert myself but take it slow and then if its a bit ruogh and visible you can always render it.

make sure you have a slight gradient down to where you are putting the bottom drain, and presto a clean floor :lol:

i wouldnt personally try and reuse a liner, just for peice of mind and £50 replace it.

good luck

steve w
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

How do I test for wear or holes if they`re tiny
Look closely at the reverse side,especially down the inside of any folds.That's where both of mine failed.One did three and a half years and the next less than three.Both had "lifetime guarantees".As it was sold as a koi pond liner and clearly wasn't up to the job the second butyl liner was replaced FOC with EPDM by the manufacturer when I took them up on it. :wink:

You can tell the difference by feeling the texture of the liner.If it's textured then it's butyl,if it's smooth then it's EPDM.Unless it's made of something else.
mio

Post by mio »

Hi Graham :D
The Liner is smooth - not sure if this is the case on both sides but will examine it thoroughly before I put it back in place - and Thank you ..

Thank`s Steve :D ..
Re-using the Butyl Liner which I`ve had to Dig around will be a temporary affair because it won`t fit once the "Block-Laying" begins ..
I wasn`t sure I could get the entire [Re-Vamp] completed before the Spring so settled on removal of the shelves so that the Liner will still fit - for the time being ..

Will re-evaluate (funds permitting) once it`s all back in place and I`ve added the 2L2 insulation layer ..
A "Rubber Mallet" will be next on my Ebay list as I don`t currently possess one - and Many thank`s for that tip :D