Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

DIY filter (NOT SO GOOD)

Post by stuboy00 »

hi guys 'n' girls

got a bit of a problem at the mo i have made a couple of filters out of 50gal drums one with a diy eazy then into the other which has fluidised k1 the problem is my water clarity is total c**p i can only see my koi when they come up for food ive tried cutting down the food quantities, installed a yamitsu 50w uv but nothing is working :?: :?:

my pond is arround 4000gals and the first filter is pump fed by a blagdon torrent 5500 the filters have 4" pipe work throught
can anyone help with me with this :cry:

thank you

stu
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: DIY filter (NOT SO GOOD)

Post by vippymini »

how long have they been running?
if not long then give it time and flush the static diy eazy daily to get rid of the crud.
is this your only filtration as it may be not enough for 4000gal?
have you any photos?
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hey vip

the filter has been running for nearly a year ,not got any other filtration on the pond but i have just under 150 ltrs of k1 between the two filters

stu
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

hi stu , well i think there are a few probs obviously at large here , firstly the pump your using the 5500 delivers around about 800\900 gph at a meter head , so at best your turning the water only over once every 4 to 4 1\2 hrs , far to slowly in my opinion , secondly what your getting clarity wise is due to the inability of the filters to cut out the fines\bits and pieces floating in the water column ...you say you have 150 ltrs of k1 in two drums i suppose that this is divided approx equally ...as i also have a 4000 gallon pond i can relate to size and your filtration probs. i personally agree with vips that your underfiltrated and your turnover rate is to slow ....i assume the pump is in the pond :?: ...so the uv should be fitted between pump and first drum :?: , this will help flocculation of the particles to allow the static k1 to catch them more easily , lots of air in the pond as well as in the fluidised side of your filter will help to drive the particles down to the pump thus into the filter, regular cleaning and water changes will assist in your quest for better water clarity about ten percent a week as a guide ...theres nothing wrong in diy easys i use them myself on all our ponds , but i do have a considerably higher turnover rate than yourself and a lot more filtration , so to summarise ...as its virtually impossible to overfiltrate i would suggest you add more filtration and increase the flow rates if you can ,a second system similar to what you already have would be a fair starting point any questions ask away ... :wink: :wink:
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

i have to agree with gerry all the way.
if i were you i'd invest in two aquamax 10,000 pumps (or another make)
then adapt another two or three more barrels and run them in tandem with the other two. using one pump on each.
you can reduce the amout of K1 in each barrel so you need not buy any more.
this would then mean youd be filtering 2000gal on each bank of filters.