Bottom Drain Air Defuser

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

sukoi50
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Bottom Drain Air Defuser

Post by sukoi50 »

Hi, does anyone know if I can purchase an air defuser that can be attached to the bottom of the pond and then clips over the bottom drain? I would be hinged and then clip over the bottom drain. Colin seems to think there is such a thing out there but I dont know where to start!

HELP!!

Sue xx
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: Bottom Drain Air Defuser

Post by kayoss »

Hi Sue

Could be worth ringing Steve or Pam at Avenue Fisheries (01480 215408) as I know they provide the hinged bottom drains. Whether or not they do an air diffuser to fit it I don't know. :?

Or you could always fix a few 6" air stones to the bottom drain You could probably fit about 4 on the normal sized bottom drain cover). Just drill a couple of holes through the bottom drain cover and hold them in place with cable ties (just make sure the clip bits of the cable ties are on the underside of the bottom drain so the koi can't catch themselves on them!).

Try putting 3 or 4 stones together in the pond and see if your happy with the effect you get.

Cheers
sukoi50
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by sukoi50 »

Bob, we already have defusers that sit in the bottom drains which work very well but the sturgeon keeps knocking them off their stands so we thought there might be something like I described out there.

thanks for the input though

Sue xx
netsukekoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by netsukekoi »

A range of different options on this page http://www.koicarp.net/air_products/air_dif ... users.html

Over the past 5 years have used all of them and all are good - just a question of finding which is best for you.

Martin :)
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

sue, try contacting "grpjohn" he is the man for hinged drain covers with diffusers..... :wink: he should be able to steer you in the right direction.
oh, and your going to need a hansom diver to get it down there. failing that there is always jules :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Andy H »

Why do you have bottom drain air difusers?
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

simply to drive the crud via the column the air flow creates like a fountain to the drain andy ...anybody got a piccy or drawing to help out here :?: :?:
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Andy H »

hmm sort of understand but a piccy or diagram would do good!

Would one of those difuser rings sitting over the drain work???
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Andy picture this......

As the coloum of air rises it displaces water and makes it rise. As the water rises new water is pulled in towardsthe coloum of air and by doing so gives a sweeping motion to the pond floor in and around the bottom drain dragging any crudd into the drain. This makes your pond a cleaner enviroment by assisting in getting rid of as much waste as possible to the drain and out of the pond. The air rising also creates a different current for your koi to swim against and gives a different set of "current" for the koi to swim against.

How's that for you?

Jules
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Andy H »

Great, got it I think, so the column of air rising pushes water up and new water is dragged in at the bottom.

So would a weighted ring sitting on the bottom drain work and does it need to be bigger than the drain "grid" or within the grid?
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

andy if you could get it to stay there it would , but there are purpose made diffuser rings which will clip onto the bottom drain lid to answer sues original question ......if brother jules aint got em ...then the ace of koi catalogue has i believe ......the one that came free with koi mag a couple of months ago ....i will see if i can find it and call yer sue :wink: :wink: :wink:
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Andy H »

Thanks, can the ring be slightly bigger than the drain?

Guess I will have to scuba into pond and measure it now!