breeding koi

a Section for breeders and back yard breeders to post info, so we can all learn something about this fantastic Craft

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Koine
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

breeding koi

Post by Koine »

I'm not thinking of breeding Koi yet, as I need a pond first but I'm just curios about it. What filtration do you have on the setups? What do you feed? etc. If possible could you post some pics of your setups.

Thanks
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: breeding koi

Post by vippymini »

if you have a mix of boys and girls in the pond then they will spawn most years. some people stop this by chemical means, others lets them to it.
it take weeks to get the water in the pond back to where it was before the koi spawned, trust me..
as for a special set up for breeding koi. would not bother, the cost outways the results...
leave it to the professionals....

try looking on www.koi-uk.co.uk
or on www.cuttlebrookkoifarm.co.uk
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: breeding koi

Post by Davej »

Hi there

We raise a few fry for fun, Duncan sets things out well [url]http://www.koiquest.co.uk/Easter%20special.htm[/url] it is enjoyable watching them develop but hard work.

It is not difficult to hatch and raise them, good water and regular feeding in a tank of 100 - 200 gallons will give you success but the more you have the greater the load on the water and the harder it gets, and as they get bigger it gets increasingly difficult and you need to balance the numbers against the amount of water you have available.

Regards

Dave