Help With A Bubblebead

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

maxinegrundy

Help With A Bubblebead

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello All
Is there anyone on here that knows about bubblebead filters?
I have just recently aquired one :D
I have been told that it will probably need new beads ..so where would i get them from ..i have looked on loads of websites but they dont seem to sell the beads.
I have no idea which make/brand it is as there is no name on it ..only a u.s patent number..
Any help would be most appreciated.
regards
Max
Attachments
20042008664_2.jpg
20042008664_2.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 8775 times
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi maxine,

Its a BBF bubblebead heres a link

http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat554.html

Might help you work out which model its is-im sure they can supply media.

Regards Andy :D
Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy_L »

To empty and refill with beads it is easier to take the outlet treaded connection out at the top of the bb. then add a bit of water then tip beads oiut water and all, they are a pain in the harris when they get slighty wet and they stick to every thing possible, the water acts as a good medium to move the beads in.(perhaps poor them over some kind of riddle or sieve to separate from the water. By doing this you will be able to see the quantity of beads that you have before purchasing any. You will need about two bags of beads I think....check with bb manufacturer. Then i would perhaps give the beads a quick bash of potassium then put them back in and let them do their work. It will take a while to colonise, and will be knocked back a bit with the pp but I wouls not spend money on new ones for no reason. Oh yeh to get beads back in use a funnel and again mix the beads in water as they kind of go in like rice pudding as apposed to nightmare sticky eggs! then put some sealant aroung outlet thread and wind it back in. Job done! Hope this helps in some way....maybe...maybe not?
kingmoaner
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by kingmoaner »

Hi Maxine

Darren at absloute koi will be able to sort you out with the beads other wise you can contact http://www.bubblebeadfilters.co.uk/ there e mail address is info@bubblebeadfilters.co.uk

If you contact BBF on this number 02086696643 and ask for Jason he is ther Technical guy and he will help you with what you require.

I dealt with him when installing my BBF7 the one you have looks like its either a BBF4 or 5.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Roy
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Hi Maxine,

I would agree with Andy_L. Wash the beads and the soak the filter with PP and you should be fine. Unless the beads has been deformed in someway there should be no problems with it. It would be a good idea to PP the bead filter even if you are just adding new beads as with it sitting around for a while it would have build up a lot of nasty bacteria!

As for where to buy beads, I know boddington koi use to sell it.

Also if you are just after a few beads to top it up then if you are going to Cuttlebrook on the 11th then I can let you have a few litres.

Regards,

David.
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello .. ALL
thank you so much for your help ..very much appreciated ..
I have spoken to Jason today (thanks Roy) He was a great help.
He seems to think that it is the BBF3...
I have read the pdf manual .. so i have a little idea to run past you..
Without starting to dis-mantle it ..i am going to set it up on a holding vat and see what happens ..if it works fine i will add some pp to it and let it do it's stuff ..so then it will be running alway through the beads ..and the filter ..what do you think? (thats if it works ok no leaks etc)
I am not really that worried if it needs some work doing on it ..it was one of my ebay bargins £65.00 ..so even if i need to buy some bits and bobs and some new beads ...(thank you for the offer David ..i will be there on the 11th anyway :D i may give you a shout on the bead situation)
I will be quite chuffed if it works ok 1st time ..
I cant be that lucky ???? can i??
regards
Max
kingmoaner
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by kingmoaner »

Hi Max

On a quaratine tank it should be fine without having any pre filter ie Sieve to remove pre solids prior to going into the bead filter.
Having a sieve before hand reduces the filter from having to back wash everyday.

if you do install it on your pond and dont have a pre filter Sieve or vortex make sure the pump has a strainer baskety as this will remove some soilds and balnketweed if you have any.

It sounds like you have it all planed out and I hope it goes well.

Let us know what happens.
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

£65 is bargin of the century. Even the smallest one (XS?) go for around £200 second hand.

I doubt it will leak apart from a few drops around some of the pipework. If you decide to put the bead filter to good use, I would definitely drain it down and wash the beads as they keep pretty mucky and goes anaerobic very quickly. At least then you know you have a fully operational filter, instead of having to drain it down after a few months of operation.

All bead filters definitely need some kind of mechanical filters in front of them otherwise they will not be able to handle the amount of muck and gets clogged up pretty quickly.
maxinegrundy

Re: Help With A Bubblebead

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello All
well i have managed to get some water runnung through it .. and no leaks except where i just pushed the pipe fittings together ..i didnt want to glue them in place until i have finished messing about with it ..so yepp water goes in at the bottom and out at the top ...no beads lost yet !!
(There might not be any in there LOL LOL :lol: )
I have a big tub which i filled with water with a boat load of PP in it so it has had about an hour of it running and i have just left it to stand tonight ..i am hoping that in the morning when i open the waste valve that the beads dont come out that way :roll: soon find out.
I did ask when i phoned jason up how much a new mesh bit would be if it was broken ..about £30 ...so thats no too bad if it is broken.
The beads seem expensive for what they are .. but you cant have it all :(
So we will find out tomorrow if i get a patio full of beads or not
:roll: regards
Max
maxinegrundy

Re: Help With A Bubblebead

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello All
well it's been cleaned out PP'd and it's now on my vat and seems to be working fine :D
So sucess :D and a bargin :D well chuffed
Thank you for your help much appreciated.
regards
Maxine
Attachments
bubb.jpg
bubb.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 8489 times