Disguising a Bakki Shower

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Disguising a Bakki Shower

Post by Davej »

Would like to fit a Bakki Shower on the main pond, aim to feed via one or both skimmers on which I run Aquamax 12000, and 16000.

Only issue is one of aesthetics, pond is raised and uncluttered and I need to convince the other half that having a shower on the wall will not be an eyesore, :wink: there’s a pic of the pond if it helps illustrate the set up.

Any pictures of ponds with Showers that may help my cause will be greatly appreciated! Alternately, any good ways of disguising the bakki.

Many thanks

Dave

[img]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa98/davej111/perg2.jpg[/img]
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

this is what I've done to hide filter house....

3 screens of split bamboo......1.5 mtr width for each one=£150 supplied/delivered....... bakki shower could return just under bamboo
[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... %20005.jpg[/img]
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

and before the screen was attached

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... %20003.jpg[/img]
Gin Rin
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Gin Rin »

This might be controversial, but I have to say it would be a shame to put a bakki on such a beautiful pond. Also the noise put out might spoil the tranquillity of the pond.

But assuming your filters are in the shed behind the shrubs (behind the photographer), what about remote locating the bakki there. Could you pump the water to the shower let the shower pump into a holding tank and then pump the water back to the pond via a mid water return. A lot of work but perhaps worth it to preserve the look of this beautiful pond.
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Thanks Brian

You are on the exactly the same wave lengths as the wife regarding tranquility.

Had a chat with Mike Snadden today,

Solution is simple! Site the shower in the pump shed and run a 4” gravity return to the pond!

Ok may have to raise the roof in the shed :( to give me sufficient headroom and will have to drill a hole in the pond wall :( to accommodate the return but it will keep the other half happy and will provide the right solution!

4got to ask Mike, Can any one tell me the height of a 4 tier shower including spraybar?

Dave
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

i would also suggest doing it that way to keep the pond looking nice as this is how Darren at A4Koi has his and they work fine.

I like the BHM media and the turnover of a shower but didn't want a shower stuck on the pond especially in the winter so i went for an large TT filled with BHM which is inside my shed :wink:

To be honest if i could i would fit up another TT if i could to give me a better turnover rate :roll:
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Gazza

How tall is your TT with the BHM in?

I have a max of 50" of clerance at the moment, Suspect that 4 tier showers with spraybars will require a few inches more headroom, if I go for a compromise and utilise what headroom I have I would save the hassle of raising the height of the shed.

Regards

Dave
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

Well i am not 100% sure but will go and mesure it in a mo for ya :wink:
kingmoaner
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by kingmoaner »

Hi Dave

I have just fitted a Bakki shower on my pond and have about 2 1/2 meters of 2" pipework before it goes into the 3" spray bar. The bakki shower is a 4 tier unit and each tier is 600mm heigh thats without the brackets on the bottom of each unit.
I am running 1 x Aquamax 15000 & 1 aquamax 12000 wich gives me roughly 3400 gallons a hour.

If you are placing your Bakki shower in your shed make sure you look at the amount of pipework you use because you may end up having to use quite a powerfull pump to get a good turnover over the bakki shower. Mike recomended around the 3000 gallons a hour for the shower to work well.

I am also looking at how to cover the bakki shower and insulate it in the winter. You can see pictures of were my shower is placed on Roy’s Kingmoaners pond and bakki shower.
I think I will build someting off my pergola and use some sort of screening.

Cheers
Roy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

The TT is 1440 high x 360 wide and from the base of the shed to the top of the TT is 1950 and the top of the shed is 2160.

This puts the TT about 12" to a ft above the water level of the pond and i pump directly from my skimmer onto the BHM using an Aqumamax 16000.
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Roy

Each tier 600mm?? are you sure? that would make the total height 2.4m ie 8 feet plus a bit for the spray bar.

No problem with flow, Aquamax 16000 and 12000 from, skimmers , plus option to throw one of the Bd returns over the shower as well which are pumped via Aquamax 15000's.

Gazza

Looks like a home made unit may be a solution but if I am going to do it then do want to get as much height through the shower as I can, Mike reckons I need 6" head from the bottom of the shower to the pond.

Suspect that a roof lift will be needed if I am not going to compromise too much.

Regards

Dave
kingmoaner
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by kingmoaner »

Hi Dave

sorry mate I got my measurments wrong. :oops:
In total its about 1.2 meters tall, Length of each tray is 1 meter width 350mm height 300mm.

Hope this is of more help.
regards
roy
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Ta Roy

That is much better!

Got to go and do some remeasuring to see if I can squeeze in whilst giving me sufficient head for the gravity return.

Thanks again

Dave
andyb
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by andyb »

Hi Dave

I know of a chap who will make the showers, made to measure.

All in 316 ( will I think it's 316 ) stainless steel, so you may be able to get the showers made rather than lift the roof of the shed.

I am also preety sure he could make a shute, that incorporates a 100mm U.P.V.C tank connector, so you could pipe it striaght of the bottom.

I can see another trench coming :wink:

Trust you and your good lady are well.

Ponds looking good.

How's the heating

Kind regards

Andy
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Andy

Ta for that would represent the easiest solution, only issue with limiting the height could be that I don't get as much acceleration ofthe water in the shower?

Will double check measurements etc as a next step

Another trench yes but only a baby one! :wink: Just when I got everything cleared up and returfed following the installation! :lol:

Keeping at 17 at the moment so not burning much Gas, will increase up to 20 over the coming weeks as the weather warms up.

How are the plans for the new build going?

Regards

Dave

Pond is t