Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

happy days !!
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

home made filters

Post by happy days !! »

Hi all,

i am going to have a couple of growing on tanks in my shed and to save a bit of money i was going to make my own filters, the plan is i am going to have a 4" bottom drain that go into a water butt of static k1, then into a second water butt of moving k1, then finally into a third butt where it will be pumped over a small bakki shower that again i plan to make and fibreglass ( first time fibreglassing !! :shock: ). i know 3 butts will be bulky but i have just purchased a 14 X 10 shed that i am insulating and boarding so have got plenty of room in there.
so finally my question is how do i join the water butts with the curved shape, ijust cant see how it will work without leaking.
any other thoughts on filtration would be great,

Regards,

Dave
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Wouldn't you be best to simply join the butts with piping? Then if you need to you'll be able to change things around more easily and replace bits, especially if you use rubber boots rather than glueing it all.

I think you might also want to look at just running a shower with BHM in. After seeing some running this weekend of very heavily stocked growing ponds they'll do a great job on their own. Would save a lot of plumbing!!! You could always run a static K1 chamber before the pump to trap any fines if you really want.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

Do you need all the water butts what about just using showers :idea:
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

dave, use 4 inch radial tank connectors...
[img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/sadle ... t027-2.jpg[/img][/img]
happy days !!
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by happy days !! »

Hi,

Thanks for the info, i did think just about showers but i figure i would need bhm if i just used showers and at the mo with my pond build going on as well and i have just purchased a stainless steel bakki shower with bhm for this money is a bit tight and water butts are cheap and k1 does the job, that was my thinking behind it,
Now i know the name for the conectors i can get cracking,

Again Thanks for the help

Dave :lol:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

Have you already got a Bakki Shower for the pond but not running yet :?:

You don't have to have a shower to run a shower you can use stacking boxes or even a bin like i did on my tank :wink: Showers are just something that look nice but its the media that does the job so if you already have some BHM you could use a bit for the new tank :wink:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2148.JPG[/img]
happy days !!
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by happy days !! »

Hi Gazza,

i have 50 litres of bhm and was thinking of taking a bit out of each section or do you think it would be better to use one shelf of bhm and just replace that one shelf with something else,
Also does anyone know exactly what i will need to fibreglass the showers i make, i have not got a clue, there is a bit of stuff on e bay, is this what i need?,
Regards, Dave
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Dave

I can not answer about the fibreglass, but I have agree with using one static bin then pump upto the shower, I had this type of filtration running on my pond and I had alfagrog in the bakki shower and it worked perfectly.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

Do you mean you have the shower running on the pond or your going to run it on the QT??

What some have done before is have the BHM on the top so it gets all the waste and then another media underneath on the lower sections.

I have a mini shower on my pond which holds 24lts of BHM i believe and i have around 450gls
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Gazza

For those of use yet to get our grubby paws on some BHM, does 24ltrs equal 10Kg?

Regards

Jon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

Now you've got me as i always cock it up with BHM :? 1 box is 10kg and well er.....come on Bob you know i always get this wrong :? :? :roll:

Jon Ill be back :lol:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

I have about 24kg of BHM not lts...sorry mate :oops: told you i always cock it up with BHM :roll:
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Gazza

Not to worry; it probably seems like a daft question. I can envisage how much space 24 litres takes up, whereas because BHM is quoted in kg's I'm not sure how much is required for a given shower size. I suppose I should be able to work it out from the Yumekoi trays being 100x30cm and requiring 12.5Kg of media per tray?

Cheers

Jon
happy days !!
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by happy days !! »

Hi,

I have a stainless steel full size bakki shower, sitting doing nothing at the moment as my new pond has not been fibreglassed yet, hopefully in the next couple of weeks, so four trays full of bhm, so do you think two top trays bhm and use the other two on a smaller shower for my qt which is about 600g.

Dave
Merseykoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Merseykoi »

I would get it started in a tub or somethig now.... if you have two weeks to spare get the bhm wet now and cycling... add some ammonia :oops: