Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Blimey that was quick..i only asked 2 mins ago..... :lol:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Guys,

Sorry takes for ever to down load photos. The walls are all double cladded and have that shinny insulation foil stuff. The roof and windows are 25mm four wall poly carbonate sheeting. Im going to fill the filter bay with insulation once i get the easy sorted out and have a tidy up :D

Cheers Andy
cupid koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by cupid koi »

Having been to emma's and andys place the set up that they have really is as good you can get, not only do the fish have a shower but you can have one as well if you stay in there to long :shock:

good job andy and some superb fish,

PS the little ones settled in great, look a bit lost :lol:

thanks again

mick
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

What a great looking set up its come along very nicely mate :D

So with that done will you be starting on the main pond now :?: :wink:
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Looks great Andy a real nice job.
Sorry though I do have a negative and its one I think You need to get sorted.
All that condensation is being drawn straight into Your House outer brickwork. Bricks act like sponges. So what will happen over a period of time is the water in the condensation will be drawn into the bricks. The only way for this water to escape is to run down the back of Your brickwork inside Your cavity. Do You know if You have cavity insulation? I dont care what any of the experts say Cavity insulation bridges cavities. This gives any moisture a chance to penatrate Your internal blockwork. Water will travel across on anything that bridges Your cavity. Even wall tie that is not layed right or has a muck snots on them. Given time as this is going to be a damp wall nearly constantly You will end up with damp inside Your house. Sorry to dampen Your hard work.
Idealy the wall should of been tanked first. Or not really built against at all. I think You are going to have to look at a way of now drying a sealing the wall, with something that is non toxic to Your Koi.
I know of several products that will do this, but they are all toxic. I wouldnt run the risk of them entering my pond.
Sorry mate I think its a problem that You are going to have to sort. Otherwise You will undoubtebly end up with serious damp problems inside Your house :cry:
Justin
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Mike, was good to meet you, glad the fish got home safely!

Hi Gazza, Ive got a couple more bits to do before i get the main pond going-i did manage to get a nexus from the garage into the garden today-im having a rethink with regards to the filtration-i will start a new thread later in the week when ive got a better idea!

Hi Justin, I was concerned about the condensation on the walls-do you think i could seal the wall with G4???-i treated all the internal woodwork with clear g4 as it was the only fish safe treatment i could find. If not i will have to have a rethink!

Cheers Andy
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Hi Andy. Firstly before You treat with anything You have got to get it bone dry. I should think G4 would do a better job than having nothing. The only concern then is, if ever You plan to move and take the building down You are going to be left with a shiny patch on Your brickwork. A bit of an eyesore and may well put people off. There are many damp seal products out there that once applied to the wall You would never know thay are there. Off the top of My head I dont know how toxic they are to use around Koi.
Might be worth looking into though.
Justin
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Justin,

I will have look into it to see if there are any non toxic products out there-thanks for the advice, last thing i want is wet walls! Thanks again,
Andy :D :D
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Justin,

I will have look into it to see if there are any non toxic products out there-thanks for the advice, last thing i want is wet walls! Thanks again,
Andy :D :D
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Andy,
Just one simple tip on condensation if i may... If you put a hose with a small ventilator of just a couple watts through the back end of the tank cover and vent that outside, it will create a negitive pressure under the cover and stop any water vapor from entering the room.
shaun18
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by shaun18 »

Andy
You could batten the wall with 1" x 1" timber, (screw in mortar joints so no brickwork damage) insulate with polystyrene batts and clad with UPVC. These are pictures of mine (although not attached to house)
PS Even ceiling is clad

Shaun
Attachments
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 007.jpg (31.49 KiB) Viewed 11821 times
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 006.jpg (32.84 KiB) Viewed 11821 times
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 005.jpg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 11821 times
jasekoi

Post by jasekoi »

Hi Andy

That looks great and very neat , top marks.

jason
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Managed to find time to try and get a few bits finished off over the last few weekends. Hooks and net put up on the wall. A couple of jap latterns and brackets fitted. Still a few more odds and ends to do-there just arent enough hours in the day!
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/emmaandaaj/od004.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/emmaandaaj/od005.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/emmaandaaj/od006.jpg[/img]
Andy
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: Growing on pond update

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

After chatting with a few fellow questers at the south east yesterday i found some motivation to get out and do some filter mods.

The qt pond has been running well but ive found i have to flush the easy out every two days as the transfer pipe is too high and it clogs.Also a few months ago i had a massive water quality issue-after checking everything under the sun i decided to pulll the shower apart, to my horror i found each tier was one massive lump of solid c##p! I spent about four hours cleaning every piece of media off individually with a tooth brush as it was so clogged up. Within several days everything settled down and the fish became more active and eating properly. The problem being that my bottom drain pumps direct over the shower with no pre filter,

Ive been thinking about making some changes for a while, and as im off on holiday next week i thought id better get cracking so Emma isnt left cleaning out the filters every other day! I picked up a compact sieve and have been trying to work out how to gravity feed it to a filter of some description and then pump over the shower.

After a chat with Stu and Bob yesterday i decided to have a play around with the sieve. I very crudely plumbed it today and left it while i had lunch. 20 mins later i was amazed how much the sieve had removed. With that i decided to plumb the sieve directly in to the bottom drain and simply gravity feed to the spray bar.

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/emma ... ure071.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/emma ... ure072.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/emma ... ure073.jpg[/img]

I will have to clean out the sieve tommorrow as there was loads of crap disturbed when i was playing about today-i will try and get some pics of how much solids it collects in a day.

Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Growing on pond update

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

What media do you have in the shower and what size pump are you using :?: