Elecro 800

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Mark,

Your pond temp will always be limited by the heat loss you get from the pond.

With a kw per 1000 gallons in an uncovered pond you may struggle to get much above 10 degrees if we have a severe cold snap. Yes a bigger heater would be able to keep it warmer but it all depends on how far you want to go and how deep your wallet is.

A cover would certainly help, probably give you 3 or 4 degrees more from your existing heater - But it does impinge on viewing. It’s all a matter of compromise.

Regards

Dave
Mnementh
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mnementh »

I contacted Elecro yesterday and they got back to me very quickly. My unit is working as it should, but some suggestions they came up with made me think.

I have a small waterfall, that is on between 0900 -1700. It isn't anymore. Also, for those of you that have seen the pics of my pond will know that I have a small 18" deep section off to one side (for wildlife). I have a very small pump that takes water from this area into the main pond. Water from the main area will 'flow' back, so I maintain the water quality of this area. I've now switched this off, and the temp has gone up 1c, to just under 13c. This is acceptable as it is now constant and not gradually falling. So, I can start smiling again :D

Mark
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mark,

Waterfalls cause a chilling effect on the water and that would of made a big difference to the heat so you should be OK now.
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

I have a almost similar pond (2200 Gallons, in ground), and thats currently at 10.2C just by using 2, 300W aquarium heaters, one in the waterfal and one in the filter. Lowest its dropped this winter was 7.7C when it was -2 outside and that was with no cover, waterfall still on and air still going into the pond

Plan wasnt to actually heat the pond but just to ensure the filters and the waterfall didnt freeze and dump water, but they are working very well

I actuallt went in there for a dive today :P (actually had to move the filters a bit) fish were letting me stroke them, They are still feeding well. Put a thin foam cover over the pond today, Be interesting to see how well this insulates
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

I don't see 600 watts making myuch of a dent in a 2200 gallon pond Madmole. That barely gets my QT tank up more than a degree or two. I think a better strategy wuld be to find a way to turn off the falls as these have a huge cooling effect on the water in a small pond.

B.Scott
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

I can turn off the falls at any time as I built them with a bypass which is valved controlled. But at present see no need to turn them down. Pond today at 10.7 C despite 3C overnight so the heater is definately making a difference. The filter is at 11.1C. The foam cover has definatley made a difference to the heat gain. At present I believe the 600W can hold a 7 to 8 degree difference in temperature.

Remember the pond is below ground and well insulated. It has 2 in water pumps (also generating some heat) and the filters etc are all inside a well insulated filter house. All pipework is below ground