windows?

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

There are structural reasons for using a frame lintels are not desidned to take outward or inward pressure plus differential movement and settling means that without a frame you run a risk in future years. Given the cost of building a proper koi pool the cost of a frame is a very small percentage of the overall project cost.[/quote]

:lol: some of these quotes that get posted on these forums do make me giggle. I have never heard of a load bareing window frame before.
Where do You fit the frame if it is not aloud to let any wieght go against a lintel. Please bare in mind the lintel itself is 75mm high and if installed correctly should have 150mm bareings either side of the opening. Doesnt leave many places left to drill and fix it. Besides that You would need a window frame 300mm wider than the opening and atleast 90 mm higher. That way You can be sure there will be no sideways pressure on the lintle.
sillyness.
I hate to say it,if You get settlement in a way that will effect You window opening, block or Brickwork You are in trouble anyway. As this would mean Your base has settled or even worse broke its back.

I have to say Yes a frame is only a small cost towards Your pond build, but I think it has been proven time and time again a total waste of money. When there ways just as effective to get the same results at practically no cost.
Justin
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Here You go Andy this is how Me and Bomber tackled the window. Done just as Jules does it. The only thing we changed was we ruturned the brickwork inside the pond. As You can see from the pictures. Just gives You what I think is a nicer window reveal. Plus the glass is then pushing against a 12 inch wall rather than just a 4 inch external skin. Both ways work perfect though.
Piece of ply length of rope, a few clamps and a little elbow grease Job done :wink:
Justin
Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy_L »

Great pic. Many Thanks