Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

There you go Max..an offer you can't refuse... :wink:
Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy_L »

No problem Maxine I will try to explain I apologise if any of this sounds in any way patronising.
Your filter will be situated at pond level so that the water level always tries to equal its level out through gravity, so from bottom drain through 4" pipe into filter to "full" level. In order for water to continuously flow a pump is situated just outside the oulet of filter (return to pond) as this is pumping water away from the filter at all times gravity fills it free of charge for you. With the pond and filter being level it will never overflow. An important aspect to consider is the size of filter and output of pump realtionship. It needs to be "balanced" to get the best results. Then in line of the return you can place any uv's etc. at this point there are various ways of returning i.e mid water, above water etc. Hope this helps. Andy
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello matey :D
yepp 10000 and what a puddle ....i cant wait ...i am so excited.
i have PM'd you
Catch ya later
Max
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

Andy_L wrote: apologise if any of this sounds in any way patronising.
Hello Andy ....patronise away ...i aint blonde for nothing LOL LOL LOL :lol:
I think i am the sort of person that needs to see things ...rather than read..if you know what i mean.
I remember seeing some pictures now of return pipes inside a pond ....
i understand you can pump back at various levels ...
i think i need to see one of these external pumps then i will be able to get my head round it.
I will take Capt Nemo up on his offer :)
A blonde should not have to use her brain !!!! :lol:
regards
Max
Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy_L »

no worries, any more help just ask. Might get you some pics if I get time tomorrow.
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

Cheers Andy
much appreciated... :D
Regards
Max
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Hi Maxine

If Dunstable is closer than Capt Nemo's place, you're more than welcome to pop in - my number is on the Chiltern Newsletter, but I'll PM it to you anyway.

Bob
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Max,

I like you much prefer pictures so its not a blonde thing :lol:

I shall try to help with a few pictures:

Main pipe from bottom drain to the filters on a gravity system so the level of the filters has to be correct so when the pond is running or switched off the water does not overflow out of the filters.

Not the best picture but you can see my filters are installed so my waterline will be 3/4 up the skimmer.

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1358.jpg[/img]

Here are a couple which show the pond returns and the bottom drain:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1311.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1309.jpg[/img]

This is the pumps and equipment which is dry mounted so its all in a shed and then the pipes go out to the pond via the pumps:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1361.jpg[/img]

I hope this helps you a little or gives you some ideas of what we mean :D
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello Gazza...
now thats much better i understand now ...
Thank you so much for the pictures much appreciated.
We have had a visit to capt Nemo's today ..all i can say is wow stunning pond, stunning fish.
The filter set up he has is brilliant.. very tidy ..you wouldnt know they were there.
We have a couple of more visits planned to other ponds..and this is all great to understanding what we need to be doing ..
And a lil trip to Cuttlebrook on Sunday which i am really looking forward to.
Although i dont think i will be spending much as my car has popped it head gasket this morning :evil: GGGRRRRRRR ..just what you need 4 weeks before christmas. Luckily my other halfs brother is a mechanic so i am hoping it wont be that expensive. :?
it happens..
many thanks for piccys ...
regards
Max
Capt Nemo
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Capt Nemo »

welcome maxy :D

see you soon mate.
maxinegrundy

quick up - date

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello All ...
just a quick update ...
trying to buy all the bits n bobs while the weather is pooey.
2 airated 4" bottom drains bought :D
1 220w cloverleaf u.v. bought :D :D
1 nexus 300 bought :D :D :D
My lovely sister has donated to the pond fund a new two pod water filter :D
Might be able to scrounge a R.O. unit from where i work for free :)
Only need 1 more nexus, couple of pumps, 1050 blocks, lots of cement, a window, etc ....etc..etc.. LOL :lol:
I was planning on starting the dig over Christmas ...putting it off until the better weather is here.
so thats about it for now ....more updates later ... :D
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello All ..
well another step closer to the pond build ..
I went to Swansea yesterday and purchased Swansea Jacks ea stainless filters .. so thats it for filtration for the moment.
I am going to rig them up re-cycling and feed a bit of food LOL
So hopefully they will kick in straight away ..for when the pond is built.
the nexus i bought has been running very well on our small pond... bit of over kill ..but it is doing a grand job.
So next is planning it properly and get the digger in :D

Which blocks do you think are best to use?
And should i have the fibrebond stuff in the concrete base?
thats about it for now.
regards
Max
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Hi Maxine

The concrete thickness and re-enforcing you need for the base will depend on what soil you are building on and the level of the water table - these both affect how much movement is there likely to be between the seasonal changes? :?

Not much help, but if you provide the info I'm sure there's an expert on here who can provide the answers for you!. :D

Will it be done by 11th May??? :wink:

Cheers
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello Bob ..
i wish wish wish wish it will be done for May ..i am trying my best to get things rolling now ..
I cant keep putting it off now .. so over the next couple of weekends i will be moving the greenhouse and plants..as thats where the filter room will have to go ..
I have a circle of flags and stone chippings to get up..they are only loose layed so that could be done in an hour ..and thats where all the soil will be moved to ..
So i am going to be well busy the next few weeks..so i might have to cancel the pond visit ..i dont want everyone walking round a building site ..not unless they can lay blocks and mix cement LOL :D
I cant wait now .. i just need to pull my finger out and start planning the drains etc..now i have the filters that should make it a little easier as i can work out my water levels..
It is really taxing my poor blonde brain ...i really want to do this properly
i think i may have to have some additional help with the plans...PLLEEZE :roll: :D
regards
Max
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

I think as with any build of any sort, You need plan of what You want to achieve, and then how You plan to get there. So many people just rush out in there garden with a shovel and start digging then it all seems to go a little pear shaped on them. Then You end up with a hole that ends up being a money pit, and takes forever to build and will end up just grinding You down.
Have You a sketch of what You want? with pond shape, bottom drain position, drain runs, returns, skimmer line and so on. If so post it up and get some fed-back. If not jot something down. It doesnt have to be a work of art.
I am in the process of building My pond at the moment. This pond has been in the planning for the best part of two years. I went round and looked at loads of ponds, listened to loads of ideas. The just put together a plan of what I wanted.
My advice to You is not to start anything until You have drwan out just what You want to do.
Justin