Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Fast Pond Build

Post by Louie »

Hi All,
As a result of collapsing side walls on a lined pond I've decided to bring my build forward and started this week. Collapsing sides have meant that I need to complete asap and so I've set a target of four days to get the base in, the walls up and the backfilling done.
Started today and managed to get a 7" base laid with steel mesh for support. The BD is aerated and so has a 1" pipe to carry the air line alongside.
Pond is 3m long and between 1m and 2m wide. Depth after putting in the base is about 4' 6" and I'll be going about 2' above ground, so a healthy 6' plus in all.
Bd will feed an Easy Pod via 4" waste pipe and will then be pumped into an Elecro Beadmaster 85 courtesy of an Aquamax 10,000. 2" return. Also a 2" return from a Hozelock 9000 uvc filter which will be fed by a skimmer. I'll be using a 100 litre pump on the BD. Also a 110 Watt UV somewhere along the line! (Where?) Any advice or criticisms gratefully received!
Many thanks to Bob Hart for all his advice which has been very much appreciated. I know it's all been done in a huge rush but I'm fairly confident that all will be well in the end as I've followed all his instructions as closely as possible!!
Also many thanks to everyone on Koi Quest for all their invaluable advice over the last few months. I knew nothing when I started keeping Koi 6 months or so ago and now know nothing still. But at least I know where to go to ask!! :D :D
I'll post a couple of pics so you can see that even a novice like me can spend a ridiculous amount of money when the bug hits! Hopefully the fish will be in their new home before Xmas.
Louie
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

louie, good luck mate with the build ,..... and you have learnt, ........how we all spend a ridiculous amount on our beloved jewels :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Great progress so far Louie, the weather is with you this week.

Keep the pictures coming
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Good progress.....Keep it up mate, its all worth it in the end.. :wink:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Louie,

So looks like you've been busy and will have a new pond sooner than you thought but what a great Xmas present :D

Good luck and keep us posted i also had a pond which started to fall down so i know how you feel :roll: Don't worry about the bug too much as its far to late to do anything about it :lol: all you need to work out now is how to get all the bills and new fish without the wife seeing toooo much :wink:
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Getting There!

Post by Louie »

Busy few days have led to most block work being in, skimmer returns in and most importantly, all backfilling done! Can you believe that in all the rush I forgot to put in the main inch and a half return from the filters!! What a Plonker! :shock:
Fortunately my mate has a diamond tipped masonry hole cutter.... :wink:
Anyway, it works out at only a little over 8000 litres which is a bit disappointing, but on the plus side it's going to be just over six feet deep after taking into account the depth of the screed and allowing for a six inch gap between water and top of coping stones. The width at the narrow end is about a metre and builds up to 1.8 metres at the wider end.
I think it was Gazza who said he could get a price for glassing in a previous post (Cant find it now!) and if it was and if you're reading this then it's between 24 and 25 sq metres Gazza! Any offers, estimates, quotes etc for glassing gratefully accepted and considered!
The guy who did the blockwork said that my concrete laying was so lousy that it took him 4 courses to get the blocks level! I don't care though...I was very cheap!
Despite knowing brickies etc though and doing all the groundwork myself it's still going to be pretty expensive. I don't think you can do a "cheap" build unless you can do everything yourself. Be warned!!
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

Nearly There! :D