Roof/Pergola started

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Jules - how about contributing some idea's then?????? All you're doing is picking holes, you know so much ........ put up or shut up eh!!!!!!

Certainly not beating myself up at all, just saying how it is. Must be your weird perception of the world eh? I do have a lot of projects on the go currently and time and money is tight - oops sorry Jules, just a fact!!!!!

I'm learning a lot from the contributions of the others, which is what this forum is all about. We all learn from others experiences dont we, whether the experience is a good one or a not so good one.

Graham - personal use of course

Went to a timber cuttting yard today, they only do timber at 6-metre lengths as well. So it's find a way of using a maximum of 6-metre lengths, or buy an 8-metre steel. More designs required from me.
oldgit
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by oldgit »

hi bob
have you tried rother valley timber near tenterden.they are main suppliers for most merchants around this area.or try homeleigh timber they are pretty helpful and i think they get thier timber from rother valley
darren
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Thanks Darren appreciate the tip off. I'll ring them tomorrow.

I do have some idea's for using the 6-metre lengths, just wanted more options before deciding what to do.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Bob I wasn't having a pop at you I forgot to insert some smilies in the text. Was trying to have a laugh with you!!! I wish you luck with your project.

Jules
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Bob
I have gven this some thought and it might help if instead of trying to get a 6m length for the front beam you could buy smaller lengths and fix/screw them together,hope that helps.

Geoff
Attachments
Beam-Plan.JPG
Beam-Plan.JPG (4.62 KiB) Viewed 9526 times
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Good thought Geoff.

I can get 6-metre lengths and I think I'll settle for that length now. If I were to go for the 8-metre lengths, which cant be bought, youre idea is what I would use.

I have a plan formulated now and tomorrow I'll dig a hole for one of the 6" square posts. More drawings required yet, I'll post them up when I finish them. Drawings required as the front posts will not be as far out as the back posts to the ridge. Also the 4" pitch timbers will need to fit front and back cross members differently.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Hole dug for one of the 6" square posts today, the other post wil be fixed on top of the wall.

Will order more timber this week and fix these posts and the connecting beam next Saturday.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Progress has been slow recently, too many other things on the go. Dug the hole for one of the 6" front posts yesterday, the other post will sit on the pond wall. These 2 posts will be 6-metres arart and between them will be 2 x 6-metre long 8" x 2" timbers, bolted together. That should be strong enough, if it isnt, then we'll have a nice curved beam - LOL

Will put these posts and beam up next Saturday, Sunday I'll be busy and then for the next 2 weekends as well. Just about keeping the kitchen at bay as well!!!!!

Drawing of what it will all be like.
[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... -plan2.JPG[/img]
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Bob,

As normal it looks like the planning going along very well and a good drawing :D

i would imagine this should be OK and the timbers bolted together seem a good idea.Mt top timber are at the longest 6m and its surprising how strong the whole thing is once bolted together.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Gazza,

Once it's built I'm sure it will be strong enough. Putting up these two front posts and the beam should be pretty easy as well. After that it gets trickier though. Putting up those roof beams while a couple of metres over the top of the pond, should prove pretty interesting!
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Many hands make light work,rekon you may need some helpers to hold while you bolt.

Im guessing you have a scaffold board to put accross the pond to stand on????

Certaly taking shape,very impressed with that plan Bob,Have you got hold of a program to something that looks so profesonall.Not that you sketch work isnt of course.

Graham
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

No scaffold boards yet, but I'm sure I've have to get some soon.

The plan was drawn on an Excel Spreadsheet, then copied into paint to save it as a jpeg.
Daz 1
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Daz 1 »

You would be better with crawl boards than scaffold boards, there are stronger and a 6m one is about £40 for a weeks hire.
Good luck Bob.
Dave.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Any update and pics yet Mr Hart..... :?:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I reckon you will be better off with some youngman boards Bob a bit like the 4 meter ones i have for you :lol: :wink:

Not sure on my movements over the weekend just yet but a trip to Kent may be one of them for a delivery :D :wink: