Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Thanks Paul,

Some interesting projects there for ideas
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

I fail to see why the Brits are always so gun-ho about covering their ponds with roofs and netted pergolas. That said the silly cloggies seem to have an urgent need to make (puhtoowie) plant "filters" on the ponds. go figure.

The way I see it the more you cover it the less the sun is going to be able to heat it in the summer. Some of you may be fine with the pond being 3*C lower than it otherwise could be, but not me.

B.Scott
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

I'm sorry you feel that way Scott. I have other reasons for this, you never know if you ask 'why' I'll tell you!
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Hi Scott,

I can assure you my pond definitely is not cooler due to my pergola. My whole pond is enclose with polycarbonate and glass. Just last week when the sun was out the ambient temperature outside was about 18C but inside my fish house it was 27C. Definitely hot and steamy. On cold windy days it keeps the cold and the chill factor down too. Definitely the best thing I did in the pond building process.

David.
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Ah, a green house on top of the pond is a whole different kettle of fish! I would love to be allowed to cover my whole back yard with a giant greenhouse, but the city planning commision would be down on me like a ton of bricks :shock: Sad really.

OK Bob... Why?
My guess would be somthing along the lines of blanket weed prevention or a giant tree with lots of falling leaves.

Do you find shading the pond lowers the summer temps? I know I am always surprized at the difference in temperature between my pond and Duncs (which is shaded) at the same time of year.

B.Scott
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Scotty,

Yes my pond is now noticeable cooler in the summer due to the pergola but i didn't want a pond in lots of sunlight and also like the look of the pond now its there :D

I was at one point going to do similar to David and completely cover and polycarb but at the moment i like it just the way it is :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Scotty,

Poly Carb roof, not shading. To keep the temperature 'up' in the Winter by fully enclosing it. During the Summer remove the sides and ends and still have a roof which is like a greenhouse. Certainly wont get any cooler.
Dave T
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Dave T »

Hi Bob...

couldnt help but comment on your plans....posted on your latest link