Roof/Pergola started

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Ok so i have nothing to do tonight try this one bob you could ask for no creasote :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Telegraph-Poles_W0QQi ... dZViewItem

LEE
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Lee - you're too quick for me, replied to your first post, now you've found me an ebay link.

The first company are in Kent, so delivery should be easy!

Ebay link says you have to pick up, so that may be a problem. It does say the larger poles at 28 feet are 180kgs :shock:

Will contact both tomorrow, thanks agin.

Pete - gallows brackets will be fitted, although more to strengthen everything up and look prettier.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

You are too quick again Lee - LOL

It says they have been creasoted, but I'm guessing this was when new. They must all have been painted with something though. As it will be under a roof, cant see there being a problem though.

Where I wanted 6" x 6" posts to sit them on, I'm sure I could use some more poles, especially if they could cut them to length for me!
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Hi Bob

Have you thought of the telegraph poles being full of creosote and that it can possibly leach into your pond
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Pete - the poles will either be outside the pond, or where over it, they will be under the roof.

Got me thinking though on what I could 'seal' them with, although it may not take to the pole due to the creasote. Although the poles are old, so perhaps not so much of an issue.
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Hi Bob

I have a trailer that I can use but the maximum lenth that I can put in it will be 10ft
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Bob no problem to cut them use a bow saw and if you use them for the posts just cut a semicircle in the top and drop it in place then bolt down.as to the creosote can it not be neutralized or sealed in with something even jet washed prior to installation then sealed when dry :wink:

LEE
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Justin has a small lorry, so you never know he may be able to pick it up for me.

Will ring them tomorrow and as they are so near I can visit and select the exact pole that I want - that's if it all goes to plan anyway.

Thanks for offer Pete
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Bob.... most large timber merchants stock them, I have them local to me as there is also a treatment plant, they also do them in different diameters.... obviously get untreated, they only treat (creosote substitute) for railway sleepers and telegraph poles.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Total Poles dont have any and dont know when they will get more in, pity that they were very local :cry:

Got a price on a 10" x 4" steel beam today £165 including sand blasted and 'red lead' painted.

Hmmm
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Bob, thinking about the beam running along the front ot the roof, instead of an RSJ, bloody heavy and needs boxing in, have you considered a composite plywood beam, epoxy resin together and then bolt at 600 centers, this could be made from 3/4 ply and be up to 150/200 mm deep giving loads of strength, may be a little expensive but easier to work with than steel.
Just a thought
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

What's one of them in more detail Stu?

Lengths of ply all stuck together to make it 8" square and with bolts through every couple of feet - is that it?????

Where do they come from?
Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy E »

Hi there Bob,

Do a search on google for glulam / gluelam beams. These are strong buggers and should work in the manner you need.

http://www.lamisellbeams.com/index.htm

Hope that helps.

Andy
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Very interesting Andy

Could make a nice curved frontage on my pond, although it would I'm sure cost a fair bit. Have emailed them for a standard beam quotation, see what they have to say.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Bob,

The steel beam is a lot cheaper than i would of expected-did you ask how much it weighs??? What ever you use it is going to be mega heavy-could you not get a few smaller steel beams and weld them together once in position??? Should keep you busy for a few weekends! :D

Cheers Andy