Poly Carb roof plans 3

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

carlejo wrote:Thanks Bob.. just checked the site you've linked and it seems quite well priced.... will have to make some enquiries.... cheers Bob
I'm doing the same; thanks Bob.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

mmmmmm Interesting thread can't help but be entertained and must admit to being pished as a fart at 2358hrs on the 28th of October the birth of Her Majesties Royal Marines I don't think now is the best time for me to post. Love you all xxx Good luck Bob and remember don't over engineer it :wink: You need tgo rebuild it at least twice before you will be happy :wink: :lol:

Jules xxx
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Ah there you are Mr Monkey boy, been wondering where you was. Obviously still celebrating your honeymoon, keep having a great time Jules.

Just trying to get it right mate, cant afford to over engineer and waste money which I dont have. Once you get a couple of ankle biters you may get to understand this :lol: :lol: :lol:
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Bob,

Having looked at the mock ups of the structure overlayed on the photos I've changed my mind and would go for a flat top rather than pitched. :?

Think aesthetically the polycarb sheeting on a pitch roof may be rather too visable and could detract from a wonderful looking pond. :?:

If it snows then surely you get out there and clear it off a flat roof....

Happy to be shot down....

Regards

Dave
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

I don't get backi untill the 3rd week of November Bob. Some one must of thrown all my gear round last night and hit me on the head, time for some pills I think :roll: :lol:

Jules
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Jules wrote:Some one must of thrown all my gear round last night and hit me on the head
Jules
LOL, sounds like a great night

Dave - Plans can change and a flat'ish roof could still happen. I like he very open frontage, so may fit a steel beam across the front so there is only a post at each end of the pond - maybe! Doing some more detailed drawings for this now with 6" sqare posts to support the beam - guessing at 8" x 4" beam.
The issue with the flat roof was the higher patio area. When standing on the patio, I'd be looking above the roof and wouldnt see the pond. With a pitched roof I'd be able to look down into it still - depending on where the pitch actually is. If I raise the flat roof up so it's above the patio area, it may be too high when standing be the pond.
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Its an interesting one Bob, I don't want to give you more headaches but in my quest to help you get it right first time!!!

Bottom line is that you are really looking at a Pergola/Pond room hybrid.

Our pond is only 6000 gallons so quite a bit smaller than yours :wink: but odd shaped. :? We are on E7 :cry: so thermal efficiency is paramount to keep a few pennies in my wallet.

We have a flat roof Pergola which I would have liked to enclose with polycarb in the winter but that wouldn’t go down with my better half :x - the compromise three rows (2’) of sleepers on the pond wall on which the 1â€Â
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Very clever Dave and does the job. I need to get into my room though, think I might get wet using your version - LOL
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Bob

im struglling here

what r u trying to achieve, whats your end objective mate?
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Bob.... I have a result with the polycarb sheets, not an ideal one but better than anyone else, so firstly thanks very much for the link.

I've been on the phone to Nick Gray a few times to clarify, order, change plans and re-order and he's been brilliant to be honest.

A supplier local to me wanted approx £450 for supply of 16mm thick polycarb for the amount I needed.

Nick Gray has supplied and delivered 3 x 2400mm x 1050mm sheets, and 2 x 2000mm x 1050mm sheets all in 32mm thick polycarb for £200..... this price also includes the glazing bars and end stops. I really didn't want to spend that amount on what the end of the day is a filter cover but it's looking really good. the timber has also cost quite a lot but it is somewhere dry and warm(ish) for me to perform filter maintenance in the winter months. I have seen some filter bays very cramped and difficult to get in and out of and that's something I wanted to avoid.

Anyway, the polycarb will be delivered this thursday and hopefully, weather permitting it will be finished friday......pics to follow soon
cheers
Carl
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Carl - You dont hang about do you, looking forward to seeing the pictures

Duncan - This whole project of knocking out my existing concrete filters and replacing them with walk in filters and roofing over the whole pond/filters/spare area is to:

- Have easy filter maintenance
- Dry filter maintenance
- Retain heat in the pond area during the Winter
- Cut out some sunlight and therefore reduce blanket weed
- Have a dry area to site in, relax in a warm area, walk around pond etc
- Add height to pond area
- All year round Koi keeping, instead of just 6-months!!!!!!!

By doing the roof now, I can then continue with the demolision in a dry area and then build the rest of the filtration again in the dry.
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Bob Hart wrote:Carl - You dont hang about do you, looking forward to seeing the pictures

Bob.... as you probably know I've spent too much time not being able to do things, eg, weather, shifts, money, too tired,lack of enthusiasm/motivation(sometimes) but now it's full steam ahead.The 32mm polycarb has just arrived and it's HUGE, you could probably stand on it when it's installed on roof it's that thick/strong!!!.... Nick Gray is untouchable on price and service, very, very good.

the chippies are busy with something else today so they will be back on friday to finish.... just got to coax the mrs now to go for some pond heating :roll: ..... some pics hopefully this weekend.
cheers
Carl