Roof plans

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Roof plans

Post by Bob Hart »

As some of you know, I'm going to be putting a pergola/roof over my whole pond area. This will mean it will cover the pond, the filters and an additional 'seating' area. The roof will be nearly 12-metres long and 5-metres wide.

I've had a few idea's on shape and what it should look like, but I do have a restriction. My pond is a few steps lower than my house and decking area, and the pond can be viewed from the decking. Therefore the roof needs to be higher enough so that when standing on the decking, the roof isnt lower than where you look - if that makes sense. Also though I dont want the roof towering above me when standing down by the pond edge.

Therefore I experimented a bit and temporary built a bit of roof to see what it would look like. I'm sloping it from from to back, so the rain runs away.

It was a good temporary build and this little experiment has convinced me this is the way to build it.

View from the deck area
[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... %20003.jpg[/img]

View from down the garden a bit
[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... %20006.jpg[/img]

View standing by the pond edge, looking at the back of the pond.
[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... %20005.jpg[/img]

Even further down the garden
[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... %20008.jpg[/img]
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Bob,

Looks good-that is one hell of a pergola you will have there! Gona need a few sheets of polycarbonate! Are you going to follow the shape of the pond?

Andy :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

The shape will roughly be followed, with 3 posts on the front sitting on the wall. The will be other posts though down at the end of the pond.

It will take shape and make sense later on though. I'm still digging out concrete and soil from down near the shed.
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Looks good to me Bob Just a thought you may want to put a gutter on the bottom of the sloping side and run it to a soak away or drain as you will have a lot of water coming off it when it rains.It's a big roof is that.good luck with it :D

LEE
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

It is something I've been pondering Lee.

My current thoughts are this. The back will have ply or similar on it and I was going to fix or hand some DPC plastic to the back of it, so the rain would just run away, basically to the trellis area and next doors garden. I'm sure the rain would then just soak away and I wouldnt see it!!!
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Bob,

Will you be able to get the roof in large enough sheets to span the pond? It will look great when its done! Are the posts going to be on the walls or beyond like Gazzas? Are you aiming to totally enclose it in the winter months?

What Polycarbonate are you going to use? Ive just ordered 25mm quad wall clear polycarb to go over the growing on pond.

Surely there cant be anymore concrete left! Bet you cant wait til its all complete and you can relax!

Cheers Andy
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

the sheets will be 10mm thick and 5-metres wide by 2.1 metres long. 5 sheets of this size plus a smaller sheet and it's all done.

The fornt posts will be on the walls, although the sheets will over hand a little bit.

there's a bit more concrete and bricks to come out yet. A lot of it was gunned out and broken, but not removed, whic is what I'm doing now. Bags and nags of the stuff, you wouldnt believe how much - LOL
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Bob,

Well its all coming along very nicely and i think that is the way to go.

We will be able to have drinks in the seating area even in the winter :D
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Bob the thing is you can add a gutter later if there is too much water and your neighbor's get washed away :lol: :lol: :lol:

LEE
dannyboy
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dannyboy »

Bob,

Trust me mate you are going to need gutter :P :P
You should see the water i get off my two roofs ( pond/patio )
Like Lee says you will be amazed at the amount of water you will collect, Well your neighbour will be :D :D :D :D
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Bob

Do you envisage any problems with strong winds? Something that has made me a bit wary of using polycarb around my pergola is that during the winter we get really high winds and I'm not sure whether it could withstand the battering.

Cheers

Jon W.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Jon,

The thought has entered my head .......
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

screw the sheets down and concrete in the posts. Wind what wind? :lol:

No problems with mine so far.
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Bob and dho

I mention this only because I have had problems with the roof of my current filter area which is made of corrugate plastic. Has been known for the wind to remove the odd sheet. The posts are concreted and corrugated material is pretty tough. I've now resorted to a double layer and have yet had any problems.

I guess it comes down to how sheltered the pond is and the nature of the climate in your area. I live on top of hill near the sea and it is not unknown to get winds approaching 90mph. I did want a polytunnel but have visions of it turning into a rather large kite!

Cheers

Jon W.
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

Bob you must have REALLY FREINDLY neighbours.,.. LOL

as for wind, thats one hell of a sail you making there especiallly as you are lifting the front edge to angle into the wind creating some good lift under the pergola.