Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

makeshift filtration

Post by stuboy00 »

hi people
i am looking for some of your help i am looking to make a temp filter and was wondering if you could give me some help i have 2 barrels and a wheelie bin i was thinking maybe in the first barrel a settlement then into a fluid k1 barrel then into the wheelie bin with jap mat? i am not all that clued up on how to build these filters so any diagrams or pics would be ideal

thanks,

stu
Mikkoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Mikkoi »

Hi Stu one thing to watch for is wheelie bins are made of recycled plastic and may leach toxins into your water m8
sorry to be the bearer of doom n gloom lol
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi mik

ok then so i will need to make do with just the 2 barrels then but can someone pls HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

stu
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Stu,

What are the filters going on, what size pond?

What incoming size pipe will there be?

2 barrels, 1 settlement with static K1 in it, the second fluidised K1.
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

stu ..how big are the barrels , and are they plastic?..an easy copy to fluidised k1 is on the cards here
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi gerry

the barrels are both 200 ltrs one is 600mm wide the other is 400mm

cheers

stu
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

hi stu ...i suppose we are pump fed to the filters so in filter bay one we are going to put the static k1 in the second the fluidised k1 ......

you will need some 4inch pipe 2x 4inch elbows 3x radial tank connectors and a rubber or plastic dustbin and some speed fit pipe and three 1inch and a half valves 3x 1 and a half inch tank connectors.

in the bottom of both drums drill one 1"1\2 hole and fit one tank connector into each and a valve for the waste and draining off , make sure you cut the flange side of the connector so it sits as flush with the base of the drum as you can , this will aid cleaning , in drum one align the radial 4"tank connector about a third up from the bottom of the drum do this exactly in the same position on drum 2 as well , the two drums will then be able to be connected with a small piece of 4"pipe solvent cemented in place. in drum 1 fit elbow using a small piece of 4"inch to approx centre of drum , you then need and upstand of 4"pipe on both barrells both with slots cut into them to retain the k1 but allow water thro ,on second barrell the third radial connector is fitted for the return to pond via gravity, obviously this will go over the pond wall so allow for height when placing the drums , drill holes in the dustbin at the base and approx 6-8 inches at the lower part of the barrell to allow water to pass into the dustbin from below m, make an air ring from speed fit pipe using no more than two ml holes evenly spaced and secure in barrell base this is for cleaning of the static k1 , with a 4"hole cut into the middle base of dustbin place over the 4"upstand in barrell one and seal in using den braven or some equivalent aquatic sealer , you can secure dustbin at top by cable tying if requ. in second barrell fit an air ring at the base of barrell , affix to some fiter grid and secure in base of drum 2 ....so water into drum 1 down, then up thro dustbin base thro static k1 down 4
2slotted pipe into base of drum 2 up thro fluidised k1 down thro slotted pipe back to pond ...easy really ...jen will follow with piccys
SADLER
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by SADLER »

stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi gerry

can you tell me roughly how far up/ down the slots should be made on the 110mm pipe inside the barrels?

thanks

stu
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

hi stu .....in piccy 1 you can see the top line the slots run down about 8-10 inches from there so the water has to filter thro the k1...hope that helps.. :wink: :wink:
stuboy00
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by stuboy00 »

hi gerry

thats me got the filter up and running still got some teething problems but all in all it seems to be working very well my water is starting to clear up and ive not even fitted a uv yet

thanks

stuart
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

love it when a plan comes together :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
davemfox
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by davemfox »

Gerry,

Am going to be doing the samething shortly, what size dustbin did you end up using in your blue barrel?

Cheers,

Dave
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

hi ithink they are about 70 ltrs or so , get em from b&q use plastic or the rubberised ones only cost about 8 quid :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
davemfox
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by davemfox »

Gerry,

One final question for you before I start this...

I have a Hozelock Titan 8000 as my pump. Looking at your pics, where does your pump feed enter the blue bin?

Cheers,

Dave