anyone use these pumps

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

flinty01
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

anyone use these pumps

Post by flinty01 »

hi all . i hope someone can help me with a problem. the pump i was useing to power the skimmer. http://www.birstall.co.uk/products/woapf034.html Has decided to die so im looking for a cheap pump for now. i would love to be able to afford a aqua max but since im gonna be a dad in a week, its just not plausable at the moment. anyone had any experience with these as it could become useful later, on a grow on tank [url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Submersible-Pond-Pump ... dZViewItem[/url] so any advice would be great its my first pond so im learning something new everyday thanks danny
SADLER
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by SADLER »

Hi danny welcome to koi quest

i am sure that u will get some useful tips from the guys soon

dad to be......how exciting 8) 8) 8)
flinty01
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by flinty01 »

oh yes it is . the only problem is i bought a large cadburys fruit and nut bar and its disappeared with in 30mins hmmmmm wonder where that went , :roll:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Danny,

A skimmer pump usually has to pump some bits of solids, unless you've a method for taking them all out first?

This pump looks to have a small inlet pipe, which to me doesnt look good. An Aquamax pump has a 1.5" inlet, probably double the size of this unit. It might do a job, having never used on I'm unable to say based on experience.

If they were good and cheap, we'd all be using them :lol:
flinty01
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by flinty01 »

yeah i see your point and well put . well it looks like im going to have to bight the bullet unless anybody has any good ideas . i did think of putting a 400 micron bag inside the skimmer but this isnt ideal . as would rather have the waste gone and flushed away. thanks bob
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

You maf find that the bag gets clogged and you have to keep cleaning it.

have a look on e-bay as some Aquamax pumps do come up now and then.
flinty01
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by flinty01 »

ive got my eye on one as we speak aqua max 8000 or would i be better with a 10000 is there any difference .(apart from liters an hour ). this would be the best in the long run thanks everyone for your thoughts. im really getting sick of this rain,cant do anything outside . :cry:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Danny,

It all depends on what you want to do with it top be honest is the skimmer going to go to a filter or perhaps a TT or Shower and how long are the pipe runs with how many bends :?:

Sorry more questions :shock: an 8000 is a good bit of kit i run one on my QT and it pumps from a bottom drain to the top of a shower through 5 or 6 bends and delivers 1128gph.

Hope this helps
flinty01
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by flinty01 »

im not that sure yet, i was thinking either a small eazy then to pond or a tt which im in the progress of making the mold for .either way it will be a inch and quarter tubing and im pretty stretched for space. if i go tt route i was thinking jap mat on the top tier. dont know about the rest. sorry forgot to say within 1.5 meters and lifting about 4 feet at the most .
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

This skimmer is designed to work with a pump from 3-15,000 litres per hour. I've found that an 8,000 or above works very well.

With regards to Bobs comment - it really depends on what you expect your skimmer to pick up i.e. leaves or just surface dust/scum - weather you use a solids handling pump or not.... but generally a solids handling pump is best

As an add-on bit of kit they work well and with a little ingenuity they will extend up to 5ft.
flinty01
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by flinty01 »

the skimmer as a basket which should catch large leaves but as bob said i think im just gonna be asking for trouble with that pump. ive seen some where a small piece of mat is placed in the basket but. like pointed out earlier i think im gonna be forever cleaning it . i really wish i found this forum when i started digging . sorry im just getting carried away with my self
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Danny,

Some of us are so old the Internet wasn't even about when they started digging....obviously that wasn't me i am far toooo young :lol: :wink:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

I resemble that remark!!!!!!

That's why I'm always rebuilding my filters Danny.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

.. and me - I use exactly the same skimmer.