new pond

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

nearly ready for bottom drain. are the aerated really worth the cost compared with the standard drain also think i will be going for a liner but can i have any benching with liner if not would aerated be better in drawing solids into drain
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

I'm at at odd with most people on the forum in as much as I hate aerated bottom drains. IMO they make the working of the skimmer almost useless because the push the surface gunge to the side walls of the pond (where it tends to stick and build up) and ever time I feed I needed to turn off the air because the same would happen to food unless you used sinking food. In general I find that the solids on the bottom find their way to the drain at any rate. If you have a corner that is a bit dead then in general I don't think an aerated bottom drain will help much anyway. I feel a nice TT will give you just as much extra air (if not more) than an aerated bottom drain AND extra filtration as well!

Benching? Do you mean a taper of the pond bottom bottom towards the drain? I find that any drop towards the bottom that is less than 45° from vertical has little influence. solids that are kicked up off the bottom have as much chance of settling up-slope and down-slope if you ask me. I've seen it all to often in DIY a vortex. I have a liner pond and don't see any problem or shame in having one provided you take the time to do it right.

B.Scott
sharpy30
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sharpy30 »

when i had my pond built i wish that i had gone and put the aerated bottom drain in.i just went for the normal drain.

but now i have two spindrifters in the pond and 180ltrs of air going to them
and they do help the muck go to the drain more than a standard drain.

but as B.Scott said they have there down falls.

if i was to build a pond again then i would put to skimmers in because all that air splits the pond into.

cheers dave
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

last dig saturday weather permiting then of to fetch bottom drain will post more pic's soon
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

I am with you on the benching of the base Scottie - once there is a bed of fluff on the pond base it needs a good angle to roll anything into the bottom drain.

What I like about the aerated drain is that it keeps the solids in suspension longer and more of it then seems to get down the drain rather than settling on the bottom.
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

20 days digging now the fun starts. how to get all the concrete round the back if only i had a 6mtr chute. don't supose anybody knows if they can be hired :?:
[img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darren.brown90/day20.jpg[/img]
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Did mine with a barrow (plus the wife of course) :lol:
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Hi Daz,
I've heard you can get conver belts that will go through the house but I don't know where you can hire them, might be worth a try, which reminds me, it's how I could get my screed down into the new pond. Try 'A' Plant,

Regards

Glenn
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

ready for concrete pour just making 6mtr chute to save having to barrow :wink:
first vortex stage of new filters acquired
http://www.koivista.com/files/daz2007/44421_DSCF0015.JPG
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

daz2007 wrote:20 days digging now the fun starts. how to get all the concrete round the back if only i had a 6mtr chute. don't supose anybody knows if they can be hired :?:
[img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darren.brown90/day20.jpg[/img]
My mates recently done his..... the pair of us were in the hole and there were 5 mates constantly unloading the mixer truck..... took about 30 mins ... but mine was pumped over the house as I had approx 40 mtrs to travel through house and no rear access... the nrs would not be too pleased as it also had to go out back and up 15 concrete steps!!!!!!..... pumping was the only option, but you can get conveyor belts on some mixer trucks... ring around :wink: ... here's mine

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 20pump.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 0pump2.jpg[/img]
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

carl thanks for reply but concrete pump will be £250. my idea just cost a little of my time to make a 6mtr chute
[img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darren.brown90/thechute.jpg[/img]
wife thinks we are having a new themepark complete with waterslide :lol:
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Good Stuff!!

Post by Louie »

Really enjoyed reading the blow by blow account of this project!!
Can't wait for another update.... I hate all those bloody soaps on TV but am beginning to understand how people get hooked!
Hope everything goes well... You're giving me inspiration!
Louie
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

louie .....t.v whats that when there are koi nuts, nuts about koi welcome to the forum :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

rain

Post by daz2007 »

2 week delay but finally concrete planned for tommorow at last all cross fingers for no more rain pls :!:
DidIdothat
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by DidIdothat »

Daz
with reference to your IBC. I currently have 10 of these and 2 made into a filter which has a flow of about 5-6'000 liters per hour. The set up is posted in 'Bits and Pieces' under 'Pics of Filter first dump'. I am currently designing my next pond and I am going to use 6 IBCs all fited with easys.

I dump mine twice a week and I have fitted a 4" slide valve to the bottom of the tank. The dump takes about 30 seconds and a quick spray inside once a month to clear the crud out.

I am so chuffed with it I am currently not using my brand new Nexus 300 easy as I can get better through-put with the IBCs.

Phil