bacci showers

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

hi all and dont we al just love the shower technology.... not!!!!

firstly i would say to telthepond man that before you go out and buy the BHM.
an aquamax 15000 may be great for moving water when there is no height differential but with showers you are pumping the water up a great height....
i would suggest you change your pump for one thatll do the job of getting the water up there in volume.. or another aquamax 15000 added so your running two.

before we closed our big pond down we were using an aquamax 10000 and a sequence 1/4+ combined over a 5ft wide shower and we had no blocking of the top layer. because the grog is smaller you need thin layers and more of them.. another mod to your existing shower could be to spread out a thin layer of grog and then use one of the filter grid trays over it before adding some more grog and so on...

i know that BHM works well as it has been clearly documented but it does cost the earth and not all of us have large wallets.

the idea of adding a sheet of jap-mat on top is a good one but you do have to jetwash it every couple of weeks. best to up the flow and get the shower working properly in the first place...

on our small pond 800gal, we have a small shower (18 inches wide) and we use an aquamax 15000 on that... no probs. so you see flow is everything..
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

I read this post this morning, when i popped in to mother in laws to check on fish and modify k1 filter, i thought id check my shower. Well lifted the lid, didnt look that bad, stirred the media and found it was clogged up.Im running flocor fed by a pump with a built in filter-unfortunately its still letting dirty water through! Filter being replaced tommorrow!

With regards to bhm-everyone i have spoken to swears by it. Im running alfagrog in my shower at the moment but only as there isnt any in the country. The alfagrog seems to work ok with a few layers of foam on top to remove solids. I may just replace the first layer with bhm to take out the solids and then stick to alfagrog.

Andy
andyb
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by andyb »

Well I am running an enforced Bakki Shower test at the moment.

Due to one of my Sequence pumps failing, I have one shower pumping directly from my skimmer at about 2800 galls an hour and the other being drawn through my vortex ( containing around 150 lt static K1 which provides 1st class mechanical ) being pumped at around 1500 galls an hour.

The difference in the BHM is quite interesting, the shower directs from the skimmer is covered with a black globby mess, whilst the slower shower which is filtered through the K!, whilst mature shows no globby mess.

My intention is to return to the higher flow rate ASAP.

Will continue to monitor BHM with regards to adding some form of mechanical filter prior to the skimmer shower ( but not much room really )

As for heat loss, yes you suffer heat loss, but what’s an extra few bob on gas compared to the cost of your fish.

The showers are combined with 250 lt of air an hour, water is turbulent all the time fish luv it.

Flow Oxygen Copious amounts of filtration Good Food = Healthy Strong & Vibrant Fish
Attachments
BHM images 002.jpg
BHM images 002.jpg (38.96 KiB) Viewed 14139 times
BHM images 003.jpg
BHM images 003.jpg (41.03 KiB) Viewed 14139 times
Telthepondman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Telthepondman »

Keep it going lads, i'm still not convinced. Tel.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Tel - the great thing is we dont have to convince you, we know it works :wink:
Telthepondman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Telthepondman »

Point taken Bob, i will stick with it. Enough on the subject, thanks Tel.
Telthepondman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Telthepondman »

Hi, all it's me again, is there anybody out there running a bacci shower with no other means of filtration, i would be interested to know as i have had mine turned off for a week now with the intention of cleaning it out tomorrow, and starting again.The suprising thing is that just running my big old filters for the last week my water quality is absolutely fantastic and better than it has been for a long long time with the bacci shower running. I still intend to turn it back on again with less media and more flow but just wondered what others clarity was like and would appreciate the input Regards Tel.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Tel,

Are you running a Bakki Shower or a Shower containing media :?:

OK so we have done the BHM & Grog bit but you cant compare the two as BHM does do "stuff" that other medias don't seem to be able to do.Also you water now looks better and most probably clearer but is this necessarily better for the fish....or is it just better for us :?

I have been to ponds which are just filtered by Bakki Showers and BHM and although some have not been 100% crystal clear the water has been spot on and the fish incredible.

Have you ever seen Mike's "Cesspit" :shock: the water is well i don't know how to describe it lets say GREEN and they thrive in it.

I like the showers & BHM very much and they work great but i don't think i personally would have a fully showered pond for my main pond as i like to see the fish.In saying that i would still have BHM in my system as on my main pond i have a large TT filled with BHM that runs from my skimmer line.The pond was built in October 2005 and i have not touched the TT since than and thinking about it perhaps i should go and have a look see what it looks like :D
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

gazza...in reference to mike snaddens showers i dont believe they are ever turned off or cleaned (i read this somewhere )seem to work ok

tel....dosnt cliff neale run showers only, lots of em i know but only showers on his main pond :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
always stand to be corrected
Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Al »

Your right Gerry, Mike has never cleaned the showers in the 4+ years they have been running, as for the "green" water Gazza there is a sound reason for this, although i would call it murky.... :lol:

The reason behind this is to keep the lustre of the koi, a-la mudponds. If the light cannot penatrate the water, it can do no damage to the lustre and skin, works for Mike.

I thought Cliffe ran K1 on the main pond along with the showers, although i think he does have showered only ponds with great results.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Al,

Yes Ive has a few good chats with Mike about the water and to be honest i was going to try to see if my little tank would go like it but so far its still clear :roll:
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Since adding a Shower (of sorts) in March which flows 1000 gph through a metre of bio balls my Nitrate levels have dropped from over 100mg/l to 20mg/L and and are still decreasing despite 20% pw top up of tap water with Nitrate of 40mg/L!

Can't comment on effects on other parameters as these were under control before the Shower was installed but as far as the Nitrate goes it has far exceeded my expectations.

Dave