Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Bottom Drain Advice

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

I was planning on a aireated bottom drain as i was of the opinion they were definately a good option! However i ve asked in three local outlets if they could order in one for me and all three have said they dont supply them as they are unreliable and block up??? Im guessing they were saying this to get me to buy a standard bottom drain that they had in stock???

Any comments welcome-also what type of bottom drain can you recommend???

Cheers Andy
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Hi Andy
Give Gary of Gatwick koi a bell he will have a aireated bottom drain as far as I know he will post it free and he will let you know what he think of them
Web site http://www.gatwickkoi.com/bottom_drains_and_skimmers.htm
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

I have never heard such bull in all my life, well I have actualy but I am not going there at the minute.

Jules
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Couldn't of said it better Jules!

:D :D :D :D
dfinn
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dfinn »

Hi,

I suppose they could mean the 1" air line gets full of stagnant water if you use flexible hose inside the pipe. Contact ****** Koi, there aerated bottom drains have a direct 1" feed from the pump to the diffuser, no need for flexible air line and no stagnant water in the air pipe!

Thanks,

Daniel
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Again another myth spread by the PR Guru's for self gain :!: :evil:
If an airated drain is fitted correctly with the correct fittings you can use the 1 inch air line and attach a 1/2 inch air line from a half inch nipple threaded onto a 1 inch blanking cap to the air dome. Failing that you can seal the 1inch pipe with sealent/silicone creating a water tight seal if you a on a tight budget or diy'ing. The other myth that you can't do that because "if you need to replace the air line in a few years....." is also bull and waffle in the first degree. I have never had any 1 inch reinforced air line degrade on me in any pool I have built. Why do we always have to "re-invent the wheel"?

Jules
dfinn
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dfinn »

Hi,

Good point Jules, never thought about that, although it is mentioned now and again.

Thanks,

Daniel
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Daniel not having a perosnal pop at you by the way. It just hacks me off when people are ill advised by "dealers" who portray high standards yet fail to maintian the most basic standards themselves. That's why the internet is a good tool for researching your pool. The downside to bad advice a daler gives to some one he/she thinks new to the hobby can screw up a potential future client. Give options and let the client choose! So many dealers already do this but a few out there still don't. Rant over :!:

Jules
dfinn
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dfinn »

Hi,

No offence taken Jules, I understand what you mean, I guess I was just reitterating (sp?) what was being said by others.

Spindrifters are ok too then lol

Thanks,

Daniel
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Can i ask which type of aireated bottom drain you would reccommend????

Cheers Andy :D :D :D
John D
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by John D »

Hi

All IMO.

2 drains on the market that are worth considering, ****** and the Spin Drifter.

Similar/same price.

Similar/same construction method.

Spin Drifter max air delivery reccommended is 40ltr but some have got away with 80ltr (but for how long). ****** one will take up to 400ltr no problem.

****** one has direct air feed so no stagnant water, Spin Drifter as to retro fitted with bits and bobs or silicone?? to become a direct air feed drain.

Based on the above which is factual the ****** drain wins all ends up.

Why would you want to use add on bits and pieces and/or silicone when you can buy something that is fit for purpose and takes more air at the same price?

Edit. One thing I forgot to mention is that the small lenght of hose that has to be used on a Spin drifter to connect the 1" pipe to the membrane is great at catching pieces of blanket weed, and restricting the flow down the drain, or worse of all blocking it. Not a clever design IMO. This happened to me on my first pond......twice.