EazyPod veterans required

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

EazyPod veterans required

Post by fatherted »

I have finally got my skimmer line up and running with an EazyPod in the middle but would like to seek some advice from anyone out there who has run one for a bit.

The skimmer is a standard one with a 1.5" outlet which straight after a slide valve goes to 2" and then directly into the pod. After the pod it comes out in 2" right up to the pump, down to 1.5", through the pump, back to 2" a few bends and then back to the pond, all 2". Just abit of info to give you an idea of flow.

I tried an Aquamax 10000 on it but it was way over po
wered for the flow that could get through the pod so I chucked on my dodgy 5500 and this is just about right.

What flow are others putting through their pod?
jasper
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by jasper »

Hi Luke, you need to fit 3" pipe work to your skimmer ! You have only got gravity pull from there to your pod, so fit a 3" tank fitting into your skimmer and 3" pipe work to your pod with no reduction ! it will work fine then . Most swimming pool type skimmers have a screw in fitting which is about 1" dia inside, fine if your fitting an inline pump but no good for a gravity feed...

Good luck John.. :D
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

HGi Luke
I have a Pod on my skimmer from the skimmer to the pod you need 3" pipe as stated,I have a cutter that will cut the bottom of the skimmer if you want to try it,you can come over and have a look if you want.
Geoff NDKK
Attachments
Picture 099.jpg
Picture 099.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 14645 times
Skimmer.JPG
Skimmer.JPG (21.6 KiB) Viewed 14647 times
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Thanks for the info. Changing the pipework is impossible as it is set in concrete but observing the water flows I don't think this is the problem.

The pump doesn't drain the skimmer or drop the water level around the outside of the K1 below the inlet so the water coming in does seem to keep pace with it. It is the inside that drops and can't get enough water which is the flow through the K1 itself.

The pod has never been used before this point and the K1 hasn't evenn been aerated (connecting airline is job for today).

What is the biggest pump people have successfully used with the EasyPod?
kitsu
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by kitsu »

Hi Ted,

The max flow is 10000 litres.

I've got ours on a 2" bottom drain, with a 5500 Aquamax throttled back slightly.

On a skimmer, (shame you can't do it) you need to fit a 3" tank connector in the bottom of ther skimmer, and you can then pull a lot more through it.

Because you only have that 1 1/2 threaded fitting, you are going to be limited.

Chris
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Hi Chris. Yes I noted that the listed max flow was 10000. Will let things settle down and then try upping the pump power a bit.
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Luke
I have the Aquamax 10000 on mine with no head loss.
Geoff
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Thanks for the info Geoff and the offer of looking at your setup. Whereabouts are you?

I will let the K1 settle in a little and then try swapping the pumps over again.
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Luke
I have sent you a PM.
Geoff