Build update...

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Build update...

Post by Andy E »

Hi all,
I'm going to keep this breif as I can hardly type i'm so knackered!!
Got all the blocks ordered last week and had a bricky over on Saturday to do the block work.
Man can this guy work!! I was his Bit*h, sorry I mean labourer for the time he was here and he did a cracking job On Friday there was just a whole with a concrete base, now the pond is really starting to take shape!!
I'm having a window in this pond which is something I have not tried before so I will keep you posted on how it goes. The main blocking out is now done, so rendering next and digging the trench for the outer brick wall. I'm only around this week then on hols for 2 weeks which is going to put me a bit behind schedule, but I think I should be able to catch up for a late August finish (fingers crossed).
Any way here are some pictures of what I got up to this weekend... (spot the deliberate mistake, now corrected!!)

All the best,

Andy
Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy E »

Here's a pics showing where the window will go..

Andy
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Thats a nice shape, keep the pics coming.. :wink:
sharpy30
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sharpy30 »

looks good andy..but where's the skimmer???

if that is the mistake.

cheers dave
andyb
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by andyb »

Coming on nicely Andy :D :D

& that the returns have now been sorted :wink:

Enjoy your holiday.

Regards

Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Spot on mate i love a pond with some shape so come on then whats the filtration and all the good bits and are you having some filtration off the skimmer when fitted :?:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Andy,
looks like its going well! Didnt take long for the block work to go up! Did you do it yourself or get someone in? Wont be long till the water goes in! Keep the pics coming,
Andy
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Looks really good Andy, well done
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Blimey,was expecting to see you & Gazza in there Bob doing the blockwork with Andy on the mixer.

Graham
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Graham,

I'll be honest here and say I got 'out of doing it'. Andy is a near 2-hour drive from me, so it would have been very long days!
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Looking good Andy.

You gonna relax on holiday or be on edge 'cos you can't wait to get home and finish it off? :lol:

Bob
Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy E »

Hi all,

Thanks for all your kind the comments :D Yes, as you have rightly spotted we got so carried away with the block work we neglected to leave a gap for the skimmer! This was easily put right with a small hammer :wink:
I've put one spare return in the pond pointing in the opposite direction so I can experiment wi theth flow around the pond (as I don't want any bent fish :wink: )
I'm looking forward and not looking forward to the holiday Bob as as you rightly mention, all I can currently think about is the pond. I'm at that stage now where I just want it finished!! However when I look at my plan of things to do and my rough time line there does not seem enough hours in the day as ever..
Ah well just finished enlarging the filter area a bit tonight and finished back filling some more. Tomorrow I've got to crack on with the trench around the pond for the foundation for the facing wall and the trence to make up the raised bed behind the pond.

Gazza,
I'm still undecided on the filtration. Really I would like to move over to a Nexus 300 Easy with a Sieve as the space I have is limited, however I am under stricked instructions that I can not get a new filter till I have sold off the old one!! So that may be something that I change to at a later date. On the skimmer line I may run 2 things (one off each outlet on the certakin), a TT to go back into the pond filled with Bakki and on the second outlet the UV and heater.
If I do keep the original filters I may make some changes. The Bakki will defo be comming out to go into the TT and the rest sold off. Then just K1 and Bio chips in the main filters (which may sound familiar).

Anyway better go got lots to do tomorrow!!!

Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Save ya money and do some conversions its great fun lol and we may know where you can get some K1 fairly cheep if you need a few :wink:

Its all looking good mate and i am sure it wont be long before there swimming away in there.........well thats if we give em back........what fish :roll: :D :lol: :wink:
dannyboy
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dannyboy »

Andy,
If you fancy having a look at my filter/water your more than welcome :D i run an aquadyne/ vortex/300 watt wave pump.

Cheers DAN :wink: :wink:
Andy E
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy E »

Cheers for the invite Dan 8) I've been out tonight enlarging the filter bay area so hopefully I will be able to use and modify my current filters.
How do you find the Aquadyne does it require much maintainance? I've never really got my head around how they opperate.

Here's a couple of pics of what hopefully will be the filter bay soon!!
Attachments
Img_2331.jpg
Img_2331.jpg (51.25 KiB) Viewed 30279 times
Img_2333.jpg
Img_2333.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 30279 times