DIY Microscreen

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Big John
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Big John »

Expanding foam isn't UV stabilised & will deteriorate, I would imagine a suitable alternative could be the floats used in toilet sisterns
mekoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by mekoi »

Hi Big John,

As I mentioned, I applied a thin layer of silicon to prevent the foam from deteriorating and also its a lot easier to clean the unit :)
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

I imagine if you add to that the fact that the filter is most likely covered and not exposed to sunlight, it should be ok.

B.Scott
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

A friend of mine is looking to build one like yours Jon.

Not even sure you need the pumped cleaning device, looks like it would easily lift off for a quick clean and then be returned. Even make two and just swap one over with the other!

Have you tried it wthout the pump and if so how long did it take before it restricted the flow? With a depth far greater then an answer, I'm sure it would last a while.
mekoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by mekoi »

Hi Bob,

I wouldn't recommend it without the backwash system coz it will clog in no time. Let me put this way. I did a maintenace in the morning before in my filter and turned off all 3 pumps(including the backwash), then I went out for lunch and came back few hours later to find the screen collapsed a little. Unless your friend wouldn't mind washing it every 3 hrs :shock: :P With the backwash system, I clean the unit every 6 weeks :D And for the record I made another one but this time I've added a thicker grade s/s mesh for extra support 8)
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Cheers Jon, I'll speak with him about this.
mekoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by mekoi »

Hi All,

Here is the new one I made. This one has 2 layers, a thicker grade s/s in the inside for extra strenght 8) Constrution was exactly the same :)

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Koi38/MScreen.jpg[/img]