Return of the S.I.M.P.L.E. (Easy) thread

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

terry
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by terry »

WHAT ARE THE CONTAINERS THAT YOU HAVE THE K1 IN? WHERE DID YOU GET THEM FROM? OR IS IT PART OF OLD FILTRATION SYSTEM.
CHEERS
TERRY
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

My water is pretty hard though nothing like Gary's sewage outfall. I'm at about 8dh and a pH of 8- 8.4. Been that way before and after static K. As I said the BW is just a small bit at the waterline maybe an inch in thickness. Strangely enough this zone extends to just ABOVE the water line!!! I have scrapped off one side of the pond and in the interest of knowledge left the other half alone to see what happens. It seems to thrive the best at the mouth of the skimmer where there is the best current. Even here it grows slowly at maybe an inch per week With the exception of the skimmer mouth in doesn't get any longer then 2" and at the skimmer perhaps 3"- 4". I find a small amount in the vortex which is grazzed off by the fish.

With things as they are now, I can live with it. The BW I used to have grew in FEET per week and was several feet long on all surfaces at the worst of times. It was thick enough to braid into rope and scale cliffs with. Once the static K went in it went limp, then light colored and gradually broke off and was caught in the filter.This continued for several months until the liner was completely bare. It wasn't until July that the walls started to show some new colinization by algae.

What will happen this year is still to be seen but it could never be a bad as it was, only the same.
Fingers crossed!
B.Scott
co2
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by co2 »

Scotty bw likes to re attach itself so where it is more abundant is not necessary were it grows best, the weed above the waterline may have been deposited from the slight wave action of the waters surface,
I have never had the carpet weed but have seen it the lush green says it’s getting all the nutrients it needs,
Yet you and gazza got rid of the last weed by different methods by depriving the weed of something it needed.
Is it a different type of weed to the last lot?
Oh I the pond in question with the carpet weed was filtered with an easy overstocked and in full sun.

Gazza that surprises me that your tds went up considerably can you think of any explanation.
By the way I am following your RO posts with interest.

Terry if your referring to the pod there called fun storage containers b&q used to do them
I don’t think you will have a problem finding them just ask quietly.
john
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

John,

Sorry about that mate my mistake....been working to hard!!!!!! The TDS went down to 460ish...nice water mmmmmmmmmm

RO yes so far so good whats your water like????
co2
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by co2 »

Thanks for clearing that up gazza I don’t need confusing more than is necessary lol.
460 yup that’s hard all right, does it still flow out of the tap or come out in globs.
My water straight from the tap has a tds of 60 but as you can see nothing but problems
Must be me.
Pond would run around 120 tds the increase taken from the oyster shells .
I don’t know what the tds is now after fitting the easy I found the meter does not swim too well.
Don’t work too hard gazza save something for retirement.
John.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Too much so i am now off for a while :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

terry wrote:WHAT ARE THE CONTAINERS THAT YOU HAVE THE K1 IN? WHERE DID YOU GET THEM FROM? OR IS IT PART OF OLD FILTRATION SYSTEM.
CHEERS
TERRY
Terry, Who are you asking? If you mean me the vat is an old stainless washing maschine drum. whaile the rest of the system is a vortex and 3 bay system I bought.
If you mean the q-tank system it is 6 foot od 310mm pvc pipe and a 2 foot bit of 250mm pvc pipe.
B.Scott
terry
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by terry »

To Co2

Thanks for the info B.scott but the question was meant for CO2.
The blue, green and black containers in you picture, where did you get them from??????????
Cheers
Terry
co2
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by co2 »

Hi terry I got them from a general hardware store price £6 & £4,
b&q used to do them,
There called fun storage by contico 69ltr & 39ltr capacity hope this helps.
John
terry
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by terry »

Brilliant, cheers John
Terry
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Anyone have any experiance running one of these puppies alongside their main filtration as a means of BW control?
Would it work?

B.Scott
co2
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by co2 »

Hi Scott
I used blanket answer at half dose about 3 months ago which eradicated the weed.
This left bare liner or the brown coating.
A couple of weeks ago I noticed green starting to appear on the liner there was no length to it and still isn’t but it does seem to be spreading .the brown is coming of in little bits revealing green underneath.
A lot deeper green than previous so if you don’t get a reply ill let you know.
John
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

What's in the stuff John?
co2
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by co2 »

Scott it says on the packet minerals and enzymes, looks and acts remarkably like clay.
A good tool for uncontrollable weed.
But here’s hoping for the fine carpet with all the inhabitants that come with it.
John
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Go john go!