odd raised dead scale

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

odd raised dead scale

Post by amanda »

Hi Guys
I had a few koi that seemed to develop the odd scale that seemed to raise then just die so i had to remove it i did have flukes earlier this year and treated with prazi. the patches are healing but have taken all summer to fade was this due you think to the flukes and where they had been flashing and damaging them selves? water quality has not helped either with a persistant low reading of nitrites even though i have done a lot of big water changes today there is no reading which is good i believe mainly due to less fish and less feeding i sold a few so now have 24 instead of 30 in a 5400 gal pond. but i now seem to have a dead spot in my nexus where the water returns to the outlet pipe it seems to just sit by the grid and not bubble so may be the air pipe is slightly blocked so will have to look at that too.
what i am now worrying about is that the nexus may not be enough filtration its a 300
give me your thoughts sorry for waffling on :oops: :oops:
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: odd raised dead scale

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Amanda
I have a Nexus300 and a pod on the skimmer with 17koi in 6400gallon pond, in the Nexus I have an old EA120lt air pump think it's now called the 150lt and 2X80lt air pumps in the pond and I don't have too many problems and the koi seem to grow OK, I also clean the Nexus and Pod at least every other day sometimes every day if I feel in the mood,

Not too sure if that's any help but I wouldn't change my Nexus300 for anything else.

Regards Geoff
amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by amanda »

Hi Geoff
Thanksfor replying. I love my nexus too i clean every other day but was doing every day as i had to treat for blanket weed and it made a mess as it broke down.
i also hoover the bottom of the pond weekly as i am pump fed. the dead area seems to be just in front of where the water returns at the grid it just sits there.
the fish have been recovering but slowly i also have a lot of air in the pond. iwas thinking of installing another nexus if i can find one second hand near by.
I am hoping they will be fully recovered before the cold sets in.
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Amanda
That sounds like your pump is too fast to me, as I have that happen if I start my pump to quick before there's enough water in the Nexus after a clean.

Regards Geoff
amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by amanda »

Hi Geoff you may be right as the original pump did die and Rob put another spare one on i will take a look as i had the spare one go yesterday and have a 5000 on as an emergency til rob gets back .water is just trickling through tho so not a lot of circulation going round the pond