fines

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

fines

Post by dizzykoi »

Not sure this topic should be on here but here goes. I have 4800gal with a nexus/cetus/and bakki over the last 4 weeks my clarity has gone to pot millions of fines, only feeding 5 times a day.I have a 5 micron mesh in the nexus rtn and a 10 micron basket in the skimmer yet it does not improve. My pond is 6ft deep and I can just make out the bottom drain yet prior to this my water was gin clear, I could if I wanted to do my nexus and cetus twice a day they are connected to my bottom drains which I have on a seperate flush do drain and get done every day. Any ideas in particular you Sid. :(
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: fines

Post by Manky Sanke »

An easy way to trap fines is with filter wool if you can find somewhere in your system to put it. As to where the fines have come from, I don't have a lot to go on, have you changed anything in the past few weeks?
dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dizzykoi »

Hi Sid all I have added is the bakki, in the last hour I have jammed some jap mat vertically in the nexus rtn. I have run the pond exactly the same from the start.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Just to be clear, did you have clear water before you added the Bakki?
dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dizzykoi »

yes it was gin clear is the fact that there is chrystal bio in the bakki relevent
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

If you have only just added Bakki leave it for a few weeks...might be fines being washed out of the media. Chrystaline biois good. Use it myself with no problems
dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dizzykoi »

thanks for that its just really annoying when you go from gin clear to foggy for no apparent reason
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

If there is anything, such as fish poo, in the water fed to the Bakki then the action of the water tumbling over the media will break it into small pieces which will contribute to the visible fines. Do you have any prefiltration before it or is water drawn straight from the pond?
dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dizzykoi »

it comes direct from the skimmer through filter wool which is in a very fine mesh basket (flour sieve)
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Rats, I thought I'd found the cause of your problem. Stu's suggestion that it might be stuff being washed off of your media seems to better fit the facts then. One thing you could try to clean up the water, if it would be possible, would be to fit pieces of filter wool into the shower in between trays and/or where the water exits. You would have to be careful of what would happen if the wool clogs and overflows but a little thought and sensible pacing should take care of that.
dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dizzykoi »

I have filter wool in the nexus rtn and jap mat I have it in the skimmer as I said and now I have a bucket with holes in with a submergable pump running thro my wifes best tights plus I have done a 50% water change if that does not work I am converting it into a swimming pool with fish.the crap that has come thro the nexus in 1 hr is amazing and I thought they were supposed to be good.On a lighter note Sid do you still do talks at koi clubs?
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Yep I do, In fact I have to rush this reply because I'm just about to leave for a talk at Crouch Valley tonight.

If you're interested, send me an email because that helps me keep all my bookings in one place. I won't put my email address in a post because spam robots will pick it up and I'll get plagued with their junk but if you, or anyone else looking in doesn't have my email, then go to my website, (link in my signature), and email me through there.
dizzykoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dizzykoi »

with all that filter wool in its improving day by day using filter wool like its going out of fashion but thats a small price to pay for a clear pond :lol:
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Dizzy,

I believe you are trying to contact me and I have twice replied to the email address you have in your profile but I haven't had an answer to either email.

I won't put my email address on a public forum and you shouldn't post yours either so, if you are trying to contact me and you aren't receiving my emails, could you click the link in my signature and contact me through my website? That way always works.