fliters

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

fliters

Post by Duncan »

why is it everyone who has a new idea for a filter something that shall we say new and enervative makes the public pay through the nose for the privilege

I see loads of filters some new some old and sorry I just don't see the money in them folks are asking look at bakki showers, I could buy a sports car for less and when all said and done its troughs with a bit of ceramic media
the only one I can look at and see the value is the nexus I can actually see the manufacturing costs in it

Personally I love trickle towers they are simple and can be made out of anything nice and cheap, years ago I designed one that was what could be described as an inside out TT the pipe ran up the middle of the media which was glued around it and cascaded down the outside of the pipe over the media

have you any ideas you have been pondering over I would like to hear them

dunc
bigmel
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: fliters

Post by bigmel »

Hi Dunchan

Agree 100 % some things koi are a total rip off imho .

BHM .....wtf its a stupid price and how less a media is the humble grog ?

Put a piece of grog under the tap and water flows through it , i fell for the Crystyl bio hype and any waste sticks to it like shit to a blanket it does not on grog .

My TT is now 50 / 50 CB and Grog I much prefer the grog bar the weight but i can handle that i,m a big lad :lol:

Used to have a nexus bought brand new but swapped for a couple of old school multibays at £50 each and my TT was £30 second hand best water quality i have ever had .

Thinking of making a diy TT as a add on as my NitrAtes are still high in the pond but show nil on the test kit from the tap but i,m over stocked so this wont help .
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Whenever I'm asked if new flashy and complicated filters are more effective than block built bays with old reliable media I answer that bugs are neither house proud nor are they neighbourhood snobs, give them a wet surface and they will live anywhere.

I like the idea of the Nexus, they are compact and maintenance is easy, but I don't have one because I like to fiddle with filters and don't mind getting my hands wet. That's my personal choice and if others prefer the compact nature and ease of maintenance then that's an equally valid choice. I can also see why they are expensive to manufacture and have no issue with the cost. However, as far as the bugs are concerned, the Nexus is really just a container with some floating plastic stuff that's no better for them than a container of JapMat.

I also like Bakki showers but, in reality, they are just a big waterfall with the option of being filled with some denitrifying media and I don't see why the shower itself should be so expensive when there are so many copies sold much more cheaply. It's the media in the shower that does the work. The bugs that do the denitrifying (nitrate reduction) only carry out that function if they can live inside porous media. BHM is porous but it's expensive. BHM used to be sold with the sales talk that it put infra red rays into the water and this was used to justify the cost. The magic ray myth has been well and truly busted and it's now sold as a porous media that will provide homes for denitrifying bugs but is it any better than Alfagrog in this respect?

That's hard to say since there are no figures issued but a quick Google shows that, pricewise, BHM is ten times as expensive as Alfagrog and I doubt that it could be ten times better.
garfield
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by garfield »

Duncan wrote:why is it everyone who has a new idea for a filter something that shall we say new and enervative makes the public pay through the nose for the privilege

I see loads of filters some new some old and sorry I just don't see the money in them folks are asking look at bakki showers, I could buy a sports car for less and when all said and done its troughs with a bit of ceramic media
the only one I can look at and see the value is the nexus I can actually see the manufacturing costs in it

Personally I love trickle towers they are simple and can be made out of anything nice and cheap, years ago I designed one that was what could be described as an inside out TT the pipe ran up the middle of the media which was glued around it and cascaded down the outside of the pipe over the media

have you any ideas you have been pondering over I would like to hear them

dunc
Hi All
Definitely must be all the RESEARCH and DEVELOPMENT Ha,Ha,Ha. :x

If you are not D I Y inclined you unfortunately have to pay. :oops:

And through the nose. :shock:

Cheers
Garfield