Gill Flukes

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Gill Flukes

Post by DaveB »

Just wondering if these critters are getting more reisistant to treatment. Even after 2 treatments of prazi combo.They have returned once again 10 months later. Just wondering if eggs are lying on nooks and crannies and just surface when things warm up bit. I have been at 14 deg for 8 mnth without a flicker. Then once I reach 16 degrees It all kicks off. No matter what I do. The only other thing is feeding a bit more. This hobby can be really frustrating. I never had problems with gill flukes for over 15 years but once I got them, the last few years have been a nightmare. Best regards Dave
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gill Flukes

Post by Duncan »

Dave how many flukes have you spotted mate?

these will be gill flukes that escaped the treatments

thing is you will never be totally rid of flukes altogether and an attempt at doing so Is futile

parasites are a part of every day life and in a koi with a robust immune system should not be a problem mucka honestly

dunc
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Duncan wrote:Dave how many flukes have you spotted mate?

these will be gill flukes that escaped the treatments

thing is you will never be totally rid of flukes altogether and an attempt at doing so Is futile

parasites are a part of every day life and in a koi with a robust immune system should not be a problem mucka honestly

dunc
Duncan. I have not found any as yet, however one or two koi are showing signs of something in the gills. I have not put any treatments in the pond on hold to see what developes. I have however dipped one or two in a short term bath of Nt labs gill wash.This has improved the situation and the koi are happily swimming around and eating very well. They are still hanging head down on occation but no where near as much as before. I am now reluctant to treat the pond as I think I went a bit mad last year with too many treatments. Hoping to get back to the koi managing to live with one or two parasites and not bombing the pond at the first sign of trouble. Hope this makes sense. Best REgards Dave
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Ah! so no scrape but a forecast or prediction, Nuff said1

anyone labouring under the misconception you will get rid of a whole population of parasites for any given treatment is doing just that labouring under a misconception

you will never catch them all you just bringing them back under control so the koi's immune system can manage them

if you treat every time you encounter one or two you gonna be really busy
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Duncan wrote:Ah! so no scrape but a forecast or prediction, Nuff said1

anyone labouring under the misconception you will get rid of a whole population of parasites for any given treatment is doing just that labouring under a misconception

you will never catch them all you just bringing them back under control so the koi's immune system can manage them

yes I have been really busy the past couple of years. I have also been quite busy tweeking my system. One thing different since changing the system last year, I seem to have reduced the p.H. swing to around 0.2. The temp of the pond is now up to around 17 degs C which is where all my problems generally kick off, even when heated throughout winter at 14 degs C. Fingers crossed.This year.Keeping a close eye on things.Hope I am not getting too paranoid. Best Regards Dave
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Duncan wrote:Ah! so no scrape but a forecast or prediction, Nuff said1

yes I have been really busy the past couple of years. I have also been quite busy tweeking my system. One thing different since changing I seem to have reduce the p.H. swing to around 0.2. The temp of the pond is now up to around 17 degs C which is where all my problems generally kick off, even when heated throughout winter at 14 degs C. Fingers crossed.This year.Best REgards Dave