DOC and feeding

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

tancho boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

DOC and feeding

Post by tancho boy »

Sat with a little 'n large (scotch 'ginger) enjoying a cool evening by the pond and thought I'd ask a question that's been on my mind for a while. I have a Febi foam fractionator that does a good job but don't have it on all the time and on those occasions a little DOC builds up, being a small amount of foam and I do mean small. When I feed the fish this foam disappears and I have always wondered why this is. What is being added to the pond to strip away the foam, or is it being 'swallowed up' within one of the food ingredients. I can't see how I am the first person to notice this so pipe up if you have but can anyone tell me what is going on here. Expect Manky Sanke shall have all the answers?

Fingers crossed someone can answer this long unasked question of mine.

Hope you are all enjoying the weekend :P
Mark
garfield
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: DOC and feeding

Post by garfield »

Hi Tancho Boy

Did you ever receive an answer to your query?

Seems to be more noticeable when the weather cools down.

I have nine small water returns from my 5 up flow filters.

When the water level drops and turns them into mini waterfalls as opposed to cascading rapids.

The DOC foam occurs, the one return is adjacent to my weir/skimmer,the water surface with in the weir becomes filled with foam and the water surface tension changes

and will no longer draw in more foam.

The answer might be within the paperwork here, if it is, maybe somebody would be good enough to direct us to it.

I saw the question which has no reply and decided to take it up and maybe somebody would be good enough to explain why this condition occurs. :?:

Cheers and thank you,

Garfield :D
tancho boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by tancho boy »

Hi Garfield, nope, no response and I'd forgotten I'd even asked it but thanks for resuscitating the topic and fingers crossed for someone to quench our interest.........

Cheers
Mark
garfield
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by garfield »

Hi Mark,

Not an unreasonable question.I have often wondered WHY this phenomenon takes place.

Maybe we are more observant.

Maybe others don't miss a feeding time?

Cheers,

Garfield.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

boys

my guess is and it is a guess, the food acts like blotting paper till it too becomes DOC's. I really don't know, but will look into it for you it may take a while though I suspect the answer is not easy to find

dunc
garfield
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by garfield »

Many thanks Duncan,
We are headed towards our cooler months, pond temperatures have dropped about 4.5 degrees C. It is more noticeable as it becomes a bit cooler, present pond
temperature 22.7 Deg.C. Summer probably about 27 /28 Deg C average. Could go higher. Winter Southern Hemisphere Durban Next to the coast maybe as low as 15 to 18 Deg C guessing.(water temp.)
2 meter deepest +- 65 000 liters Slow fluctuating temperature movements.
Could it be something to do with what the fish don't exude when their rations are reduced or stopped.
Cheers for now.
Garfield