dislocated jaw?

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

dislocated jaw?

Post by Silver Wolf »

Duncan or anyone with knowledge of the above
I have a koi that pannicked a few years ago in QT & during netting crashed into the side of the tank! It appeared ok. So when transfered to the pond it hide away from sight for a while but later, it started to swim with & feed along with the others, it was only about 15CM then, see photos today, I noticed it was lop sided then realised it was it's jaw?
Being small, & because it was feeding & growing, I left it to see how it got on! With a view to maybe relocating the jaw, when it was a bit bigger?
I know that the bones around the jaw are very tiny & delicate, but what do you guys think the chances are?
See photos showing the odd angle of the jaw, & it swims with the jaw open at all times, it's a fiesty koi & competes for food even with this disability, it is growing, but a bit behind it's kith & kin?
Any advice or just leave it alone?
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: dislocated jaw?

Post by Silver Wolf »

Three(1).jpg
Three(1).jpg (66.84 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
Two(1).jpg
Two(1).jpg (55.7 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
One(1).jpg
One(1).jpg (63.35 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
Sorry guys no photos? They were too big, hopefully sorted now?
Errol
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Errol

There are several bones on each side of the lower mandible that have to slide against each other , the reason for this is the lower mandible is responsible and the mechanism that opens and closes the operculum

there are six bones on either side which move kind of like an aperture of a camera lens but in a linier/lateral action so it could be any one of at least 12 bones + the lower mandible that's attached

plus there is a central bone called the basihyal which you can see on your fish as a pointed protrusion under the lower mandible in its throat region

this is attached to the underside of the mouth and the outer skin and if this rips loose alls lost it cant open and close its mouth

you obviously never bought last years nishikigoi year book?

its still available if you want to catch up, but I wrote a lengthy article on just this subject

the so what in all this is: its probably stuck that way now

dunc
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »

Duncan thank you, I did buy the book & have just reread your article, the question really related to wether it was or would be possible to re-locate the jaw, & yes my suspition was that it was too late? It,s confirmation you gave that it will probably stay that way now! As mentioned it feeds well & is still growing, so will go back into QT later this year as a stock fish for QT filteration seeding, & buddy fish.
Thanks again
P.S. Will the 2015 year book be out soon?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

yes the 2015 is due in about a month I have three articles in this one

dunc
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »