Euthenasia

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Euthenasia

Post by Duncan »

some folks have emailed my privately about what can be used for Euthenasia why they don't ask it here god knows but I thought I would put it here anyway

apart from a priest which is instant and humane knocking the koi senseless and is a time honoured way of dispatching trout and salmon and is still practised today

you can use 2-phenoxyethanol or ms222 or indeed benzocaine if you can get hold of it still, 2 -phenoxy is a slow way but as the koi is in lala land its not a crewel way of doing it, ms222 is really expensive

an alternative to that you can use CO2 diffused threw a fine air stone 400mg/l will do it you can get a small co2 and cheap valve form any place that sells home mig welding sets

failing that, a very a reliable way is Ethanol or put simply, whisky or vodka a 4% solution will induce respiratory failure and death by anoxia so for a litre you need 40ml of any strong whiskey or vodka

please do not do as has been suggested put them in a bag in a freezer this is a horrid way to dispatch a fish

dunc
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: Euthenasia

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Duncan I use Phenoxy on my own koi as I have the time to leave them in there for a while,if I need to do it quickly I sedate and use a priest as you have said if you know what your doing its instant.