On going problems Continued

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: On going problems Continued

Post by DaveB »

Duncan wrote:so Dave do you still have the vortices in service?

I don't like bakki showers I think they are an expensive waste of money and so is the magical mystic media that goes in them

duncc
Only the one before the nexus.Best Regards Dave
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Dave

I was going to say try turning it off but obviously that's not an option now

regards your fluke issue I think what has happened here is and I hate to say it is: you find one or two flukes and treat accordingly, but that's not what you should do
after any fluke treatment ill bet I can find one maybe two flukes, flukes are an everyday event and should not be an issue for a koi with a strong immune system most carp will carry a fluke, what this means is while you have been treating for the odd fluke all these years you have actually created flukes that are really strong and resistant to chemical based treatments

but I say this to you if you find a fluke on a healthy fish don't reach for the chemicals

I recently went to a pond I scraped 6 fish and found one gill fluke and one skin fluke, they guys asked me what the treatment was? my answer was no treatment needed. I went back two months later after some new fish had come in from yumekoi and he wanted them checked out of similar scrapes I found 1 fluke

again I recommended no treatment, but this time he had his own way and treated anyway, but im willing to bet if I go back I will still find flukes despite him treating and remember my mantra an opportunity to treat is an opportunity to kill !

I don't understand why flukes put the fear of god into folks they are not even true parasites and wont directly kill your fish

trust me most fish carry fluke as they do white spot its only when the immune systems goes down they become a problem if your going to reach for a treatment every time you find a fluke you going to be really busy

so Dave sit back and relax the fish will tell you when there is something really wrong

dunc
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Duncan wrote:Dave

I was going to say try turning it off but obviously that's not an option now

regards your fluke issue I think what has happened here is and I hate to say it is: you find one or two flukes and treat accordingly, but that's not what you should do
after any fluke treatment ill bet I can find one maybe two flukes, flukes are an everyday event and should not be an issue for a koi with a strong immune system most carp will carry a fluke, what this means is while you have been treating for the odd fluke all these years you have actually created flukes that are really strong and resistant to chemical based treatments

but I say this to you if you find a fluke on a healthy fish don't reach for the chemicals

I recently went to a pond I scraped 6 fish and found one gill fluke and one skin fluke, they guys asked me what the treatment was? my answer was no treatment needed. I went back two months later after some new fish had come in from yumekoi and he wanted them checked out of similar scrapes I found 1 fluke

again I recommended no treatment, but this time he had his own way and treated anyway, but im willing to bet if I go back I will still find flukes despite him treating and remember my mantra an opportunity to treat is an opportunity to kill !

I don't understand why flukes put the fear of god into folks they are not even true parasites and wont directly kill your fish

trust me most fish carry fluke as they do white spot its only when the immune systems goes down they become a problem if your going to reach for a treatment every time you find a fluke you going to be really busy

so Dave sit back and relax the fish will tell you when there is something really wrong

dunc
Duncan thanks for your responce.]Thats the bit that worries me,I only treat when two or three koi are looking quite poorly and have picked up a few wounds with flicking, especially when the stop eating for a few weeks. Thats why I thought something else has been going on.I really do try to relax and after about 6 to eight weeks the problems do return. Now that the covers are on and the pond is at 15 degc. I don,t expect too many problems until next spring/summer. This is the first time I have tried the Praz, so fingers crossed it will have done the job. Only time will tell. I have taken on board all that you have said and will now be able to rule out dirty filters, p.H fluctuations. and if push comes to shove I might bypass the showers just to prove a point. Just for the record I did not just decide on using BHM beacause every one else does. I too have been very skeptical for many years. But after doing a lot of research it does appear to be the only media that does not require pre= filtration. Don,t ask me where all the crap goes or how it works. Perhaps it just gets smashed up and taken out by the other filtration, who knows but I have seen one or two pond who run the same configeration I currently have ( bakki and Nexus combination)and have run the pond as such since showers first come out and the media is still clean. Beats me hpw it works, but it does and before anyone blinds me science I have seen this with my own eyes .Thanks again guys for all your replies Best REgards DaveB
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

well till the drum filter came along I have never seen a crystal clear pond with a shower with bacteria house in it, in fact I will go this far I have been to a pond this year wi8th a drum and bakki shower where the guy can not mature it at all

I look at the cost of it a stainless shower with bacteria house and now a drum filter you could buy and run a Bentley for what a modern pond costs these days, I say again as ive said it before some folks are pushing this hobby in a direction that I suspect will kill it off stone dead with cost

yes the last time you treated you took my advice and treated with your prazi dissolved into a stand does of malachite green and formaldehyde , that's a big stick and then some, not only that you did it twice to catch the egg stages

so it will be interesting to see the outcome

take care

dunc
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Duncan wrote:well till the drum filter came along I have never seen a crystal clear pond with a shower with bacteria house in it, in fact I will go this far I have been to a pond this year wi8th a drum and bakki shower where the guy can not mature it at all

I look at the cost of it a stainless shower with bacteria house and now a drum filter you could buy and run a Bentley for what a modern pond costs these days, I say again as ive said it before some folks are pushing this hobby in a direction that I suspect will kill it off stone dead with cost

yes the last time you treated you took my advice and treated with your prazi dissolved into a stand does of malachite green and formaldehyde , that's a big stick and then some, not only that you did it twice to catch the egg stages

so it will be interesting to see the outcome

take care

dunc
. Thanks again Duncan, Fingers crossed with the last treatment. Yes the cost of the hobby is only going one way. I have had to give up a number of other interests to keep it going. With the pond taking up most of my garden and being the main feature it would be a shame to have to jack it all in. However I can see one day the expense will be so great I won,t be able to keep them the way I would like too and not be able to buy the koi I now appreciate but for the time being I am still hanging in there. Once again I would just like to say I appreciate your help and feel a little easier regarding the p.H.Best regards Dave