RO water

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

RO water

Post by amanda »

hello every one
Question is how many of you use RO water or used RO water but have gone back to normal and if so your reasons for doing so
i use it in my growing on tank only with i feel mixed results i have grown some to very good sizes and some not so good even with good heating
i am wondering if its worth it as i feel that its all down to to genetics and that some will grow and some just get to a certain size and slow right down.
Am i using it for the wrong reasons? :?
What do you all use RO for?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RO water

Post by Duncan »

Amanda

I did RO for years at considerable cost and do not now

reason being despite me kidding myself I did not see any real benefit from it I wish I could say different but in truth no better growth, no better colour, and no better health benefits,

the real down side its a pain in the ass to keep on top of if your are sailing close to the wind with KH and pH

dunc
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

I ran RO for a few years in the hope of reduceing a p.H. swing( reducing the G.H. to below K.H.) don,t ask me why this should work. But it didn,t. I don,t think it was worth the cost of replacing prefilter cartridges on a monthly basis and RO membranes every couple of years. Especially when I have source water with only 70ppm TDS.
I have been informed that if you have very high G.H. then this can be detrimental to the kois he. Take it the otherway, only recently I increased both k.H and G.H by adding huge amounts of shells amongst other things and increased my TDS to 300 and some of my koi looked c**P especially the whites on my shiro and tancho. After taking Duncans advice and removing all the shells etc., my TDS is slowly returning to normal. Best REgards Dave
amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by amanda »

Hi Guys
yep that;s the same conclusion i have come to.
i have been running it for 3 years now and i have not had any marked improvements on either growth or colour so i feel its time to pack it in as its only been good for water changes in my chrystal shrimp tank as they need very low TDS i have had good growth but the genetic background was such that the parent fish were big also and the shimis still appear! my tap water is crap though very high TDS I have concluded that genetics temp and good food seem to be key to growth.
Dave my GH is high from my tap water good old Essex water!