Salt and ct treatment

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

johno
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Salt and ct treatment

Post by johno »

I have been treating an ulser on a kois tail,I noticed this morning she had some raised scales near the ulser,so i have put her in a qt tank half full for now at 1.5 oz per gal salt,there is 75 gals so i put in 7 lbs of salt,are my maths correct !!! she does not like it rolling about gasping at the surface,have i put in too much salt? how much ct do i put in and how often?
Thanks in advance John
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Salt and ct treatment

Post by Manky Sanke »

John,

I normally leave Duncan to answer health questions because he is the expert but your fish seems to be going into osmotic shock so you need to act now. Your calculation is correct for that concentration but the only time you should put a koi straight into high salinity water is as a dip. If you did need to take the concentration up that high you should only do it in three or four stages 12 hours apart.

I would suggest returning the fish to the pond in order for it to recover, or at least replacing 50 gallons of the water with pond water in order to reduce the concentration to ½ oz per gallon (0.3%).
johno
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by johno »

Thanks Manky,I have returned her to the pond now,I will fill the qt up to 150 gals [ double water ] should dilute the salt and then add more salt over three days. How much ct should i add,and over how long?
Thanks John
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

ditto what syd said, to much salt to fast that's why she rolled on you

dunc
johno
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by johno »

Thanks dunc,i have diluted it down now and put in first dose of ct.