Thinking outside the box

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Thinking outside the box

Post by DaveB »

After taking Duncans advice and removing most of the oystershell, naturashell and hydrolite. There has been a gradual improvement in the koi, especially the shiro. She is still hanging in the water with head down on occation, but is ravenous most of the time as is the rest of the koi. I am not sure if I am out of the woods yet as the K.H. and p.H. is heading towards the same as the tap water the swing is starting to increase but only slightly more at the moment. However the max p.H. is not above 8 and only on very sunny days. Most of the time it is between 7.5 and 7.9 .I will keep monitoring the situation and take the k.H. even lower until it reaches the same as the tap ie 1.5 d.H. Currently 2.5d.H. It has taken ages and loads of waterchanges to remove the above out of the system so might be some time before I get thek.H. down to 1.5 d.H.G.H.is currently 6d.H. Tap G.H is 4.5 d.H.
Best REgards Dave
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thinking outside the box

Post by Duncan »

good man Dave im glad things are getting back to normal just keep doing your partial water changes and I don't think you will have a problem your water should stabilise settle and be better for you fish

and think of the money you will save on all that junk ??

BTW I don't know why folks use oyster shell as a buffer its pretty well junk, oyster shell or any shell has a problem it consists of calcium carbonate we wont the carbonate but we cant get it because its locked in by the calcium and it wont release it until it starts melting when the water goes acidic and even then its not a fast process the chances are a pH crash would occur before this stuff even starts releasing carbonate

dunc
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Thinking outside the box

Post by DaveB »

Duncan. For some reason Oystershell is very popular in my area, where most have soft water, but not all. I have learned the hardway and after great expence found that even a lot of it does not react quick enough during the night to prevent a p.H. fall. The naturashell does raise the k.H. and consiquently the p.H. but again does not react quick enough. That is why I tried the hydrolite. This just sent eveything through the roof, including g.H.
I will keep members posted on hear as to developments. I am prepaired to run a very skinny k.H. as it seems to take a while to fall and I keep a good eye on things. Once all the junk is out of the system I would expect the k.H to be eaten up quicker at present feeding rates. I will be keeping an eye open for any sudden changes.Best regards Dave