BKKS nationals

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

BKKS nationals

Post by Duncan »

hi just my thoughts

was at the nat's yesterday what a wonderful event at a great venue, the show vats were nearly all taken with some great fish to view and the water in them looked absolutely super with a trickle in and trickle out this was a first rate idea
so all in all as a show it was first class and well done to all who worked so hard to achieve this!

the big shock for me having not bought any koi equipment or fish for such a long time was the :shock: eye watering cost of anything koi,

The cost is being driven up at an alarming rate filter costing thousands of £'s and fish costs to match and I have to say not all the fish being offered were worthy of the prices being asked and to be completely honest some stands were offering fish for circa 100 quid that were quite honestly cat food

I sat quietly for a while with an ice cream and did the math, and to enter the hobby at the level some dealers would advocate would cost you the price of a very nice Porsche or Jag, it then becomes apparent why this hobby is ever shrinking

overall a great show day but the vendors need to wake up and smell the coffee before their market has vanished now I know why folks are selling up and advertising their equipment here on the swap shop

dunc
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: BKKS nationals

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Dunc
The price of the yen is better than it has been for a while but Electric Gas ect as gone up and it all as to be paid by the dealers as well as the hobbyist, I bought 4 koi off Gatwick Gary that were a fair price and two off Chris Queni-Koi that were great value and I'm getting a lot of pleasure watching them and 3 feed out my hand already,

This has always been the most expensive hobby I have ever had, you have to pay up or leave and a lot have done that,

His your mate Gary still about not seen him post for a long time.

Regards Geoff
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

yes Geoff hes still around

dunc
Dandj
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dandj »

Missed you yesterday Duncan.
Have to say the show was 100% better than last years, even the weather!
Yes the price of koi is eye watering even rubbish small ones seem to cost too much.
The trickle in system was very good but now they need to provide a small scoop net for each vat so someone can remove all the fish waste! Clearly many people did not fast their koi.
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Sorry I did not make the show. perhaps some of us could have met up. I have to continually review the situation as regards costs. I have just layed out £800 for a new boiler. Could have been a lot more if I did not fit it myself. Last year it was over £1000 upgrading to BHM. Its been a few years now, when I have been able to buy a KOi I really liked. They always turn out to be too expensive for me when asked the price. Some one somewhere is making an awfull lot of money out of this hobby and its not me.
Best Regards Dave
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Sorry I missed speaking to many of you at the National over the weekend, I was confined to the lecture theatre for both days with only short escapes to the showground in between the talks. I'm glad it seems to have gone down very well, last year was the first attempt by the new BKKS Committee at reviving the National and funding it by a novel method. It worked pretty well but with some "rough edges", so this year we deliberately focussed attention on improving those points. I'm glad the trickle in/out system met with general approval. It was an idea I saw at a mini koi show back in 2010 and I've been banging on about ever since as the best way to change water at a show where ever suitable drainage facilities are possible. Anyone planning a koi show should consider that method to see if it could be made to work in their situation. I've uploaded an original design drawing to show the principle but, as ever, ask questions on here or get your show organisers to email me if I can help in any way.

About the cost of the hobby, I've also been concerned about prices for koi related equipment for a few years now and I believe that the overall decline in new hobbyists is partly due to the off-putting prices that prospective koi keepers face when they consider taking up the hobby. This, in my opinion, deters many from progressing from "goldfish ponds" to proper koi ponds or encourages others to try cheaper garden centre "miracle filters" or home made equipment that leaves a lot to be desired, both of which can have the legacy of being difficult to maintain or giving poor water quality. Poor water leads to potential poor koi health and the feeling that koi keeping is too complicated and, coupled with time consuming filter maintenance, might be another reason for some of the new hobbyists just giving up.

There is nothing wrong with DIY equipment and, in fact, I personally prefer it because it gives me a better sense of satisfaction to think "I built that" rather than "I bought that", but inexperienced people doing DIY often make elementary mistakes. For this reason, the club talks and whole day education seminars I do have a common underlying theme - koi keeping isn't complicated, nor is it a rich man's hobby. I concentrate on showing how easily understandable is the art of ensuring good circulation and water quality when all the complicated stuff is stripped away and also throw in designs for a few simple DIY projects that can be built in day or two for a fraction of the price of commercial products.

About the price of koi, I can do nothing yet but, one day, I hope to set up the Manky Koi Farm in Essex where the maximum prices will be about half those in a garden centre. :roll: